1996 Evinrude 130hp problems

Drew80

Cadet
Hey guys Im in need of some advice. I was on the water last weekend and was cruising around 45 mph and all of the sudden the boat just fell on its face and the engine died. I restarted it and it seemed to be ok. I got the boat on plane and was accelerating slowly and it happened again. At this point I started it back up and limped it back to shore. I was making a rubbing/chattering/squeaking noise. Im thinking the worst like I burned a piston. Took it out of the water and into the dealer and they found scoring in #3 and #4 cylinders. Compression is 130 in #1 and #2 and 115 in #3 and #4. I understand that the scoring means a rebuild is most likely on my future but does it need to be done right now? Is that compression difference that bad? And would that cause the boat to die like it did in the middle of a run and allow it to start right back up? VRO is still hooked up which Im assuming is the reason for the scoring. I plan on making the switch after this all happened. Sorry for all of the questions at once but I need some advice here before moving forward. Thanks in advance.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey bud, I have practically the same motor.

I doubt it would have been VRO failure, as it would have likely toasted all of the cylinders due to no oiling. Are you sure its 3&4? 1 & 3 are on the same head and 2 & 4 are on the other head. If both cylinders on one head went out, more than likely your thermostat did not open at operating temp and the head got too hot.

Have you ever checked the temperature switch/alarm on each head to make sure it would make the buzzer go off if you overheated? \

Compression numbers are right over the limit of a rebuild. Right now you may just need a honing, rings, and pistons. Keep running it like this and you may toast the crank, block, etc. Also, until you find what caused the failure you wouldnt even want to try it. The rubbing/chattering,squeaking noise is what scares me the most.

Hate to say it Drew, I think you are in for a new motor................ I know a nice remanufacturing place in Alabama that has these powerheads rebuilt with a 1 year warranty for $2400. Let me know. Later bro.

Drew80

Cadet
Thanks for the response Pete. The dealer told me three and four but Ill double check when I talk to him tomorrow. Its frustrating for me because I know enough about engines to question things lol. It would give me piece of mind to know what caused this but I know how that usually goes. I have not checked the alarm ever but I always have an eye on the temp gauge and its always running within range. Id still love to know why the boat fell on its face dong around 40mph? The carbs have never been gone through and my family bought the boat new and has never had an issue. It hasnt seen and reformulated gas. They did say the noise was piston slap.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone ever tested the VRO unit to make sure it is injecting the correct amount of oil ??

Drew80

Cadet
At this point they havent. I havent had them look into anything else until I decide on a engine rebuild. Im now being told that I have a big block v4 and its going to be more money. Just short of $5000 for the rebuild. I need to find a smaller reputable shop thats not a dealer.

Drew80

Cadet
Im in wisconsin. Im trying to explore all options. It sounds like it will be cheaper to buy a new powerhead than a rebuild. Looking for used engines also but worried about buying something thats been not taken care of.

Drew80

Cadet
Just got my second opinion on the motor and it was the same as the first. I had them check the VRO when it was in and they said it isn't pumping oil so at least I know why this all happened now. As far as powerheads go are there any places to steer clear of? Ive seen a few on the net including the one you had mentioned above sutor623. I think Crowley was one. Another brought me back to iboats. Let me know opinions, experiences? Thanks.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Darn. Sorry to hear about the VRO. Don't have much opinions in the powerhead dept, but you could always try and find a good used donor motor with a bad gearcase. Honestly, winter is coming fast enough so you may as well set a goal to have her done by spring. I know how those Wisconsin winters can be!!!!!!!!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, if the VRO had failed, all of the cylinders would have been scored. I also think the compression is adequate on the scored cylinders. Heck it is just a bit over 10% different. I would clean all the carbs and rebuild them, change the thermostats and waterpump and run her.....JMO...

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Gee, if the VRO had failed, all of the cylinders would have been scored. I also think the compression is adequate on the scored cylinders. Heck it is just a bit over 10% different. I would clean all the carbs and rebuild them, change the thermostats and waterpump and run her.....JMO...

That's what I was initially thinking about the VRO. As far as still running it, he said he heard rubbing, chattering and squeaking coming from the motor which kind of makes me wonder the condition of the lower end of the block.