'87 Johnson 30 water pump swap question

Longball1

Recruit
So I have a 1987 Johnson 30hp outboard. I need to put a new water pump in it but I have hit a road block. I already have the gear case off. The problem is on the shift shaft. There is a brass bushing which I cannot figure out how to get off to remove the old water pump. The shift shaft is slightly corroded around the bushing. Should the bushing just slide off or am I missing a step or two?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe you have missed a step.-----Did you remove the water intake screens ?---Did you seperate the shift rod nuts ?-----Did you slide the upper nut up ? ----did you remove the split , black plastic keeper ?

Longball1

Recruit
All of that has been done. The lower unit is off. Now I just have the shift shaft and water pipe hanging out. On the shift shaft there is a brass bushing that is keeping the old water pump assembly from sliding off of the shift shaft and drive shaft. Any idea of how to remove the bushing?...or do I have to take apart the whole top end?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post some pictures of this situation.---If you have removed the black plastic keeper this all slides apart with no brute force required !!!-----????---Is the driveshaft still stuck in the crankshaft ??

jasper60103

Commander
All of that has been done. The lower unit is off. Now I just have the shift shaft and water pipe hanging out. On the shift shaft there is a brass bushing that is keeping the old water pump assembly from sliding off of the shift shaft and drive shaft. Any idea of how to remove the bushing?...or do I have to take apart the whole top end?

Yea, I recall the brass bushing (#57) you're referring to. Yep, it should just slide off. Is this a salt water motor?

Untitled.jpg

Longball1

Recruit
Racerone, unfortunately the motor is at my uncles shop and I haven't had time to run down and take any pictures. Jasper, that's exactly it! Thanks for the schematic. I couldn't find one anywhere. it's not a saltwater motor and to my knowledge has never seen the brine. The bad news is that it hasn't been run since the boat was last registered in 1998. The engine runs perfect after some cleaning and tuning and the water pump is the last thing I need to redo. If the bushing is supposed to slide off maybe some WD and elbow grease will get it off...and vice grips. Thanks for the replies folks!