Con rod cap bolt socket.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Really simple question here... Where can I find a suitable tool to remove and reinstall the connecting rod cap bolts on my 1988 Johnson 110?
I realize that it's a 5/16 12 point but all the local stores I've gone to only sell 6 point sockets. Ideally, I'd like it to be a 3/8 drive so I can go directly onto my torque wrench.
Any ideas?
BTW I'm in the Toronto area.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Should be lots of places in Toronto to get that socket.--------Find a " snap-on " truck or your local NAPA auto parts store can order it from " GRAY TOOLS " too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't know anything about your area but Craftsman use to sell a 12 point 5/16" 3/8 drive socket.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I've bought a number of them over the years. #1, they have to be thin-wall to clear. #2, they have to be first class in quality. Meaning strong. Best ones I've had were from Snap-0n. Sears Craftsman is ok, but make sure they are thin enough.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I split one of my Craftsman sockets years ago. The one they exchanged for me has been working fine since. I bought the NAPA one at that time. Both have been used for rod cap bolts, depending on which toolbox I'm working from...

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've bought a number of them over the years. #1, they have to be thin-wall to clear.

Yes, I thought about that.
When I took the bolts off, I sacrificed a boxed end wrench by grinding away the wall till it was able to drop all the way onto the bolt, I then put an extension bar onto the small wrench in order to gain leverage and the wrench ended up bending before finally cracking the bolt free. My plan is to take a bolt and rod cap with me when I go shopping for a socket so I can test fit.
Thanks for the tips.