'91 70 HP 'Rude.... Install a temp gauge?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can see the end of the season coming, (we close up the trailer at Clayton N.Y. on the 1000 islands, Oct 12th), and the boat has to come home.
Never one to "leave well enough alone", I got a list going in the back of my head............ boat and motor items......
The motor runs AWESOME for a 70! Does what I want it to, good on fuel.
Still has the VRO hooked up, (I pull fuel for a 4 stroke troller off the same tank, so I want to leave that, plus it seems to work)
I got boat/motor last year like this time, did the impeller, tune carb rebuild, plug/wires, thermo....
I was wondering this year..... Can I install a temp gauge on this motor somehow?
I'm sure the "overheat" alarm work, but would like to know the temps when I'm idling, running, etc...... (anal mechanic)!
Either a mechanical or a electrical, but some sort of gauge?
Thanks!
Joe
My problem is I think too much...............

Last edited:

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I dunno what I typed in this A.M. as a search for "adding a temp gauge to a Evinrude 70 HP outboard", but nothing came up for a outboard?? (I did see how to add a trans temp sensor to my trailblazer- good cuz I've been meaning to do that)!!
I even came here and hit the search, (most of those were I/O engines), but at lunch I typed it in again and came up with a TON of info on it!
Seems I'm not the first to want to keep an eye on the temp.
There is even a U Tube video on it, (it's a Johnson, but the idea is still the there.
One site even had pics of a couple different brackets to mount the sensor in also, (I THOUGHT the sendor would have to be in the water jacket near the top of the motor to get the correct temp.
So, The seed has been planted, the idea has grown, now I have one more thing to add to my "to do" list
Joe

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I installed one on my 95 70 Johnson. Purchased a marine temp gauge (not the same temp ranges as an automotive gauge) that offered compatible temp sender devices. Basically a Teleflex gauge with a Teleflex sender. Mounted the sender with the flat tip-flush against the flat outer part of the head. Fabricated a steel "Z" bracket to hold the sender, and that could be anchored to one of the head cover bolts. It's a simple job, so don't over complicate it. One wire from the sender to the temp gauge on the dash. Sounds like it would not work, but does just fine. Am sure the gauge comes with instructions.

interalian

Commander
Anal mechanic is something I can relate to. My boat had a single gauge with a Z bracket and temp sender pressed to the cylinder cover. But I went dual, mounted in 1/8" NPT holes in the cover, ran two wires to a SPDT switch under the gauge so I can selectively monitor either side of my V4. Usually leave the switch to the starboard head as it's more likely to be hot due to the design.

Sender

Gauges with switch

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can relate!
IF I had a V motor, there'd be 2 sensors!
I got all the good stuff to do it, have to hold myself back not doing it up there, (Clayton), but, wait til I get her home.
Joe

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Bombardier makes a surface temp gauge (or did) -- bought one about a year ago (may be a NOS unit, not sure). Anyway, installed and used one a number of years ago and they are effective. The sensor has a bracket that mounts to one of the head bolts.

interalian

Commander
IIRC, the sensor I used was from some old Dodge, along with the original OMC sensor. The gauges read in a lower range but the sensor output was the same.