Johnson J115TLCNB Fuel Pump and Ventilation Issues

MikeMahon

Recruit
[FONT=verdana, geneva]I am in the process of restoring a Glastron SSV-176 with a 1982 Johnson J115TLCNB. I ran into an issue with the fuel pump. There is a red toggle switch labeled run and start and is mentioned on the manual start instructions sticker on the inside cover. The issue is that she starts right up with the key and electric starter only if that switch is in the manual start position. As soon as I move it to run and try to start it won't turn over. I can find no mention of this switch in the service manual or by searching the forum. What is this switch and why does it only start if it is in the opposite position stated in the instructions? Could this be a generic fuel [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva]pump that should be replaced?

The second issue I am having is that once she is out on the water and gets close to WOT the primer will collapse in on itself and the engine will stall. I was told this may be a venting issue but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. The tank was replaced before my time so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
[/FONT]

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That unit with the red lever is not a fuel pump !!!----It is an electrically operated valve that takes the place of choke flappers.------It is the primer valve.-----If it is operated manually with the red lever is OPEN and fuel is sprayed into the engine when you turn it over with the key.--------Has anyone shown you how to start the motor ?-------Are you pushing the key in while cranking the motor over ??------Take the time to learn how to start and operate your motor.----That could save you a lot of coins !!!

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
The solenoid your talking about isn't a fuel pump it's. A primer solenoid that is activated by pushing in on the key it works as a choke.

as to the vent if your tank is built in there will be a small hose coming off the tank check to see if it plugged.

MikeMahon

Recruit
Thanks for the clarification. I was told it was the fuel pump... Yes i pushed in the key and turned to start and it starts right up, goes into forward. If that toggle is not flipped it will not start.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Turn the key to " on " ---now push in on the key.----Do you hear a click ???