Backfiring through exhaust

Thompsoncustom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 johnson 20hp that I got as a project engine. It ran but only at high speed, turns out it's missing some of the throttle linkage so that should be a easy fix. I adjusted the carb by hand and started it at just above normal idle and it was backfiring through the exhaust and than would just die at low RPM. I pulled the carb off and cleaned it today and now it idles at what I would say is a normal RPM but it will still backfire and die at low normal idle. When I was in the carb I seen the needle was off to one side and I wasn't sure if this was normal or if this could be the cause of my backfires.

Attachments

• photo229423.jpg
    photo229423.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The needle is normal. Your backfiring is probably a lean sneeze need to richen up the idle if possible. I would wait until you get the rest of the throttle assembly on the motor and make any adjustments from there. Also check compression and spark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There's a screw and spring on the side.
Turn out 1 and 1/8th turn.
Then motor warm and in gear and in the water(tied to the dock or on a trailer)level.
Adjust from there.

Thompsoncustom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well pulled the plugs today and one was pretty much flat, new plugs and gas and it sounds much much better now. Still a little rough when cold but seems normal after a couple mins.

Thompsoncustom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I thought the plugs fixed the problem but that ended up not being the case.

It only backfires when the motor is cold so if I start it for a minute and then turn it off and let it heat soak then the backfiring goes away completely.

Also have put a carb kit in it now and got the throttle linkage fixed.