1964 johnson 9.5 MQ-10R cam follower?

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this model supposed to have a plastic roller type of cam follower like older 10hp models on part number 85 in the diagram?

http://i.imgur.com/RwT8IgI.jpg

Attachments

• photo229404.jpg
    photo229404.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome thanks! My motor appears to not be reaching the full 4500rpm's/ not producing full power and I'm trying to figure out why. The rpm is also unstable in WOT.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do this simple test.-----Is the spark capable of jumping a gap of 1/4" or more on both leads , yes or no ?---Very common for those motors to run on one cylinder !

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1/4" !!! Seriously? I am trying a flash tube to see if it jumps but having no luck seeing the spark in daylight. Was very easy to see the spark on a 2.5 horse.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if you understand the question.----But I worked on those 9.5 models when they where new!---Own a bunch too.----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a tester.--That is the test I have used since 1968 or so.---No other test is acceptable to me.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yeah forget the flash tube for this test. They have their place in troubleshooting for sure, like identifying a miss, but not for an initial spark test. You need that 1/4" gap to mimick the compression in the cylinder. ALOT of motors will show spark if you hold the plug to the block, or use a neon style tester like you have, but fail the open air gap spark test, as the ignition system is not strong enough to make the spark jump the gap, or similarily, spark while under compression.

You get the idea.

If your spark is fine, and your compression is fine, there is likely a fuel delivery issue. Vent open on tank? Restriction, etc...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps you do not realize that the 9.5 hp models are lighter than the newer 9.9 hp models !!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yes something like that is all you need. Princess Auto often has sales on them for a few bucks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the ESKA a quality motor ? ----Is the ESKA a noisy aircooled motor ?

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is the ESKA a quality motor ? ----Is the ESKA a noisy aircooled motor ?

I wouldn't know, my only experience so far has been with poor running secondhand motors that were 50 to 70 years old; but it is a testament that they are still running, sometimes after being dropped into the water and totaled.

I bought the lisle spark tester, there was another brand but it had pointed ends on the spark gap which I thought might give a false reading. In both plugs the sparks weren't strong enough to jump a gap more than 1/16th of an inch, I hope there hasn't been further damage to the coils by giving it a gap that it can't spark across?

I bought a compression tester as well, I will post the results soon.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If spark will not jump more than 1/16" you essentially have no spark.---Pull the flywheel and inspect the magneto !!!!-----And no there was no damage done during your testing !!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Is this a new motor to you>? If so, and you have never actually ran it before, it may have its original cracked coils, which will need to be replaced. You will soon find out. If lucky, youwill just need to dress/clean the points, set at 020 to revive spark.

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AUGH I GOT A LEMON.

The compression tester read just above 60 on both cylinders; ignition issues are easy enough to fix, but I can't make the rings seal like new again.

I have ran the motor before, in a barrel and on a boat. On the barrel it started easy enough but when I shifted into forward the torque cracked my makeshift plywood stand. I then took it out onto the water on a 10ft dinghy weighing about 640lbs total, first pull it started and then died right away. After that it took what seemed like 10 minutes of pulling to get it started (now I know why) and then it seemed to run ok. Idled well and was pushing us along at a good rate, but we could not get up to planing speed and the motor looked like it was doing alot of splashing creating a huge wake, but not much pushing. From what I am reading now our technique was off too, but it was clear that the motor wasn't working right.

I'm not sure If I should even try to fix this, maybe I can get the points cleaned up and throw it back up on kijiji; people are asking more than what I paid for worse condition motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Those motors do not produce a lot of compression. While 60 is a touch low, if they are equal it may run just fine, depending on how your gauge reads. They are all a little different. You wont be getting 100 psi on a 9.5hp.

Pull the flywheel and see what you have for ignition. Finding cracked coils is likely. Are you in Ontario?

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in toronto. Tomorrow I will pull the wheel and see what's what. I did read about 4k ohm from the spark plug wires to ground.

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the flywheel off, have a look.

http://i.imgur.com/QC4yhZA.jpg

One of the condenser wires has abraded to the core on the flywheel.

Is there any way of removing the mag plate without having to undo the circlips on the throttle linkage?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Why do you want to remove the mag plate? Just swap out the condenser, and polish the points, clean and reset them. When you reinstall condenser, pull down on wire, then tighten the screw.