1967 40 HP JOHNSON WATER PUMP BEEN SITTING

randall729

Recruit
I bought a 1967 Johnson outboard. The motor had not run for several years. I put on the muffler cups and the water leaks excessively (I think?) where the gear box connects to the transom? Also the water sputters out of the upper exhaust hole. No steady stream. Should there be a gasket down at the gear box? The gap is about 1/8 inch where the gear box attaches. Does anyone have any remarks . I have always had newer motors and know very little of the old vintage years.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Are you asking about the seal ring #56 in the diagram below

(The diag is actually of a 1968 model because iBoats will let me paste that from the BRP parts catalog whereas it wont let me post the diagram of a 1967 model from another marine engine website .... but they are the same part number 0305672).

The snag is that the part is no longer avaialble ............ perhaps someone will know of an alternative solution

convert

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There should be some spray being blown out the big blowhole about half way up the backside. The actual amount constantly varies according to thermostat position. But never a stream. The thermostat is always sampling the temperature and opening and closing as necessary to maintain correct operating temperature. I have no idea what you mean by a 1/8" gap where the gearcase attaches. If that actually is what you mean, there is a serious problem, like you are about to lose the entire gearcase. How about a picture of the gap? Is your motor electric shift or manual shift? Finally, be aware that it is impossible to test a water pump by running on muffs.

randall729

Recruit
To VIC S, thank you for the diagram. Part number 56 may need replacing. will have to investigate this further by disassembling the gear case apart.
To F_ R, Thank you for the info about the water spray. At first there was no spray until the engine warmed up in about 5 minutes using the muffs. Then it was a weak spray in my opinion. Alot of water was streaming out down at the gear box case. As if a previous owner didn't get it back together correctly, thats why I mentioned about a 1/8 inch gap. For sure I'll post a couple pictures before I would attempt to do anything on impulse. (right now my boat is 300 miles away)