1966 Johnson 3 hp

Allie56

Cadet
I just purchased a 1966 Johnson 3 hp. The seller ran it in a barrel for me and it sounded pretty good. Before he started it, he tapped the top of it with his fist a couple of times. I got the engine home and put it on my boat. It wouldn't start so I tapped the top like the seller did and it started. I'm assuming that something must be loose inside but I have no idea what to look for or what may need to be replaced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Carb needle or float sticking ???

Maybe its been fitted, if not originally so, with a soft tip needle. They can stick and usually have a little clip linking them to the float arm to pull them down with the float.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the clip is missing. Or maybe you just have to have a calibrated fist.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
When you say it won't start, is the recoil starter engaging?
If not there may be something wrong with the starter that requires that slight "attitude adjustment."

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wonderful little motor. I have several. It will run FOREVER if you take care of it.

Agree with above, I don't understand the "Tap"???

Allie56

Cadet
Thanks for the input. I probably won'’t attempt the repair myself but at least I’'ll have an idea what a mechanic is talking about.