1964 Evinrude 60hp Sportsfour

baldwisa

Seaman
20150901_080257_resized.jpg 20150901_080235_resized.jpg Noticed this gear oil leaking from the propeller. Does this require a seal replacement or am I to expect these issues with an older motor?

lindy46

Captain
Looks like a leaking propshaft seal. Not unusual on a 50+ year old motor. Since you have to drop the lower unit and take the gearcase apart to replace it, I'd get a kit and replace all the seals.

baldwisa

Seaman
I've seen on Youtube where you drill two self-tapping screws into the seal and pull it out. Looks fairly easy for the novice guy. Is this a similar procedure? To remove the Propeller it looks like four bolts hold it on?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The seal housing is held on with 4 screws !----And you may have to remove that housing in order to replace the seal.--------The propeller is held on by the black plastic cap and cotter pin.

baldwisa

Seaman
I pulled the plastic cap and pin out last night. Prop didn't budge. Was afraid to tap it with a hammer. I'll mess with it tonight and post an update. Thanks for the help. Have you tried removing the seal by drilling it and removing with screws before?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you win the lottery, sometimes you....never mind. But it is no biggie deal to remove those 4 screws and pull the gearcase head out. You will need new O-rings for the screws. And a couple of pieces of threaded rod for realignment when you install it help also.

baldwisa

Seaman
Sounds good. This site is a life saver. Any tips on getting the prop loose? Just some simple taps with a hammer or mallet?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put the motor in gear and turn prop back and forth / round and round while pulling on it.---And as per post #4 you may find that you have to pull the housing out in order to change the seal on that model.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
WARNING! Remove and ground spark plug wires before horsing around with that prop. It can start and slice your hands like sandwich meat.

baldwisa

Seaman
I've pulled the lower unit. So far IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG it's worked to good. Prop needed a little PB Blaster but got it off. NOW I can't figure out how to remove the seal. Help!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Ah yes, that reminds me. That one requires a special tool to pull the bearing out. You are also supposed to replace the bearing after doing it because removing it damages it. You MIGHT get lucky and get it out by heating the housing, which will expand it and loosen it's hold on the bearing. Personally, I cheat and put it in a lathe and cut away some of the metal covering the seal, then shove seal and bearing out at the same time.

baldwisa

Seaman
Heat and some pounding got the bearings and seal removed. No way to do that without destroying the bearings. In the process I left a couple divits on the inside of the gear head. Nothing serious that would prevent the seal and bearings from seating. I was thinking of some gasket maker to smooth the divots.