Newbie with a Evinrude 6hp question :)

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all! I am new here and new to boats in general. I bought a old 1973 Duracraft 14' semi V and it has a nice little 6hp Evinrude outboard on it. I would like to buy a service manual for this motor so I can do any and all repairs and maintenance myself but I am having trouble figuring out what year it is. The numbers I found on it are 6002B-E04251 Is there any way to figure this out from these #'s? It was rebuilt professionally two yrs ago but it has not been started in over a yr. I can smell bad gas when I sniff around by the carb do you think I should remove it and clean before I try to start it or can I just run fresh gas through it and be ok? Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Best i can tell is search for a repair manual with the 6002B number. This number comes back to a 1970 6 horse power Evinrude.

Last edited:

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To drain the fuel from the carb, there should be a screw on the bottom of the carb bowl. Loosen that drain screw and catch the fuel with a cup for disposal. You don't need to remove the screw completely, but if you do place a rag under the motor so you don't accidentally drop it in the lower unit.
I would try spraying some starting fluid into the carb before taking it off for cleaning. Doesn't sound like it's had many hours since last cleaning.
The model # should be stamped on the top of the motor somewhere. My 61 had a part number stamped on virtually every part...so watch out for that as to be sure you've actually found a model number.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you engine is a '70 model, then yes, there is a screw you can remove to drain the carb. But knowing the fuel has turned bad, I would remove the carb and clean it out and verify all the passages are clear. Then you will have one less thing to worry about. Buy a carb kit and install it. It is the best thing to do!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
6002B is the model number for a 1970 6 hp Evinrude.

I am not so sure about there being a carb drain plug as such but, referring to the diagram below, I suppose you could drain it by removing #43 and 42 and the orifice #15.

As suggested it may be wise to strip and clean the carb fully but personally I'd try running it with fresh fuel first. Then if its Ok there is no need to fix what's not broken.
My 6hp has in the past often stood for lengthy periods ( up to 2 years) and I have not in over 30 years of ownership yet had to strip and clean the carb, but maybe the fuel in the Uk is cleaner.

some ingenuity may be required to remove the carb without releasing the spring in the starter recoil but the workshop manual will explain.

workshop and owners manual are available from Ken Cook at https://www.outboardbooks.com/ but you will also find a Seloc (??) manual at http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html

convert

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you all! You have been very helpful :) I am going to get the manual for service before I do anything to it. I also got 1970 in my search so that s what it must be. I am completely restoring the old girl so I still have a lot of work to d and have plenty of time to wait on the manual to get here. Thanx again!