"94 Evinrude 225HP fuel supply issues

sardis2010

Recruit
This issue has been vexing me for at least 6 seasons. I can be running along just fine and the fuel restriction warning sounds The only thing which seems to work is putting the fuel line into a jerry can, after which the motor will purr quite happily, no beeps, no chugs. This season I cut the water seperator filter out and tried running directly from the on board tank. I was only able to run for about 15 min before the alarms sounded again. Tank and pick up are clean,lines are new,vent is not blocked. Pumping the primer bulb provided short term relief only. I am thinking of installing a low pressure electric fuel pump between the water seperator and the primer bulb rather than replacing the fuel pump on the engine. Any thoughts??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I had a similar problem on my 200. Replaced everything from the tank to the fuel pump. Same thing. Took anti-siphon out and threw it as far as I could. No issues since

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The vacuum alarm has nothing to do with the fuel pump. You have a restriction or leak somewhere in the fuel system.

The fact that pumping the bulb works tells me the problem is either the bulb itself or somewhere between the bulb and the bottom of the pickup tube.
Blow air back thru the pickup to make sure it's not clogged. Tighten all fittings. If you have a selector valve, make sure it's not leaking internally.

sardis2010

Recruit
The pick-up has been pulled , its clear. The primer bulb has been replaced. I'll recheck all joints and fittings.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Then again, it could be a bad / leaking vacuum sensor