1981 Johnson 140 Revs out of control

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor revs out of control when I start it. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this. I mean it is scary the rpms it is getting to. Is there a vacuum hose or something? J140TLCIM is the model. Linkage seems to be fine.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Is the timer base back on its stop?
Check that the vacuum hoses on any bypass covers a connected and not perished too

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The timer base is on the stop. There does appear to be some small hoses that are not all hooked up. I am not sure where these go. Is there a diagram somewhere?

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the fittings that goes into the bypass cover is broken so there is no place to put the hose. I am having heck finding where to purchase one. I can't find it on the diagram anywhere on the iboats site. Any help is appreciated.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The tiny ones that the re-circulation hose goes on.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yes but are they brass? If they are Boobie can give you the part number. I busted one off my motor a ways back and couldnt find part number. He sent me the part number and I ordered it. Like $7

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe they are brass yes. Being only a cadet I don't know who boobie is!

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I am right the # for that little nipple is 327706, they use them on older loopers,also. I am sure boobie will correct me if i'm wrong.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The part I am looking for is much smaller than that. It looks like about the size of a pencil eraser where it goes into the bypass cover.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
The other # I've got is 0325604. If possible pull up cyl & crankcase for 1988 140hp item 11, - or another option is replace by-pass cover

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
you said earlier the timer base is on the stop, it should be toward the back , the stop is for wot, pardon it I interpret it wrong.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks 175 that is the part I need! Also the timer base is on the back stop. There was one of the re-circulation hoses disconnected at the crank case and one at the intake. Any chance that would cause my problem? The motor has sat a while. Plan to decarb it when I get a chance.

Thanks in advance

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yes thatd run it lean, hot and too fast, block them up temporarily and you will notice the difference

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When at normal idle, all 4 carb butterflys must be closed. There is a rod between carbs, and it is adjustable, usually with a screw mechanism on one carb. either carb (2 barrels) are ajar, that will feed extra air/fuel into the engine. You'll have to pull the airbox cover off to check this. All 4 must be closed and the cam roller must not touch the roller at idle. You should be able to slip a pc of paper between the cam and roller at idle.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it running great. While trying to tighten up the fuel line on the carb I broke the plastic inlet nipple. Can anyone help me with a part #? By the way it ran great after I got the circulation hoses fixed. Any help with the part # for the carb inlet nipple would be appreciated. It is not showing on the diagram.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fixing the circulation hose fixed my problem. Now I have broken the plastic inlet nipple on the bottom of the carb. Can anyone help me with a part #? Thanks in advance.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for the double post. Did not think the first post took.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Is it a separate part or part of the casting? I cant see a part for it. You might need to drill and tap in a new one

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there somewhere I can get a little more information on that?