Pre- VRO fuel pump sizes..............

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, just wondering if you more experienced fellas could help me with this.

I am having trouble with the VRO alarm going off so I just disconnected the oil side. When I re-installed the VRO after a diaphram rebuild, a piece of the plastic cracked a little when I tightened the screw down.

Anyways, I am going to get a non-oiling fuel pump vs. a new VRO. This guys says that the pre-VRO motors ran the single bodied fuel pump all the way up to the 140HP V4's. Does this seem accurate?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Johnson...560-/301396711171?hash=item462ca4d703&vxp=mtr

On the other hand, Maxrules says that these single bodied pumps do NOT provide ample fuel flow for the 120-140 looper V4's. http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html#VROkit

It seems correct that the pre-VRO (1983) only use the single bodied type. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...RLCTE&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Fuel+Pump

Is this because the pre VRO's were cross-flows? I thought the cross-flows gobbled up more fuel........... Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
What motor do you have?

Aero, I guess that would help wouldnt it!!! It is a 1995 Evinrude 130hp E130txaor V4 Looper. Some people say that only the V6's need the dual fuel pump assembly, and Maxrules says that the larger V4's also need the dual fuel pump. But Evinrude only used one fuel pump on their pre-VRO 120-140hp V4's.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Anybody ever do this to a 130 horse?? Maxrules swears that the V4 loopers need the dual bodied pump!!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Here is Mastertech's response in case anyone wanders to this thread..........
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]
I am looking to replace the VRO with a standard pre-mix fuel pump. On your site it says that I need the 8402-2, as the single bodied fuel pumps are not sufficient for a 90degree v4 Looper.

I am wondering why I cannot use the single body pump, 438556 (your part number is 8556), as that is what was used on the pre-VRO 1983 and earlier 120 and 140HP crossflow engines. I would order a single body with the external pulse fitting instead of the block-mount pulse fitting, which is 8559.

Have you tested the v4 loopers at WOT with the single body pumps and had the motors fall on their faces starving for gas? I want to keep the system as simple and inexpensive as possible. Thanks!!
The 90 degree loopers require more volume at top RPM than a single pump will supply. 8559 would probably work as long as you never plan to go higher than maybe 4000 RPM . The motor will starve if you try to run any higher, and often, lower. People have tried it and got bad results.
If there is nothing physically wrong with the VRO pump, just rebuild it internally ($145.00) , cap off the oil nipple, unplug the wires, and use it as the high-volume fuel pump it actually is, mixing fuel & gas in the tank.

In any case 8556 would not work since you have no port to mount it to (the pulse goes thru the backside). You would have to use the 8559 and the VRO pulse hose, although it will not give good results usually. Thanks for visiting Mastertech Marine!

[/FONT]

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
There are two old-style mechanical pumps for the crossflows up to 140 hp. ( and newer crossflows, too.) One pump has 3 ports (hose barbs) and the other has two hose barbs and a port on the side-for mounting direct to the side of the block. Both supply same fuel flow, it's a matter of whether you want to use the pulse port on the side of the block or the pulse hose that was used on the VRO pump.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But the 140 looper does not have a place to mount the older style pump directly on a pulse port like the crossflow models did. !!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
But the 140 looper does not have a place to mount the older style pump directly on a pulse port like the crossflow models did. !!

Correct. But you guys are missing the point here. You NEED 2 of the old style fuel pumps in series in order to get enough fuel flow for the v4 loopers at WOT. They are $250-300. I can get two fuel pumps for $150, but I would need to fabricate my own bracket. I think I am going to do it. Looks like they use one of the flush mount pulse port, and an external mount pulse port with the blocker for the flush mount pulse port drilled out.

Or maybe they are just blocking off the block mount pulse orifice??? Either way they are using one of each style.............

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You have another option. Bombardier makes a VRO looking pump, but with the oiling side missing. It's a cheaper premix pump that replaces the more expensive VRO. Saves about $100 over a full-blown VRO. Bomardier p/n 5007422

sutor623

Rear Admiral
You have another option. Bombardier makes a VRO looking pump, but with the oiling side missing. It's a cheaper premix pump that replaces the more expensive VRO. Saves about $100 over a full-blown VRO. Bomardier p/n 5007422

Thanks partner!