Evinrude 140 looper carburetor problems

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine bogs and won't plane with airbox cover on. I noticed that the foam seal is smothering the idle and mid range air jets. The idle air bleeds are spitting fuel at low rpm which soaked the foam seal in the airbox. With airbox off the boat jumps out of the water and tops out at 50 mph. Airbox on it sputters, fouls plugs and goes no where.

Why would they design it with a foam seal smothering the idle air jets? Is it the wrong airbox?

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I took the carbs apart and surprisingly the floats were set very low. I had suspected they were high. As of now they aren't spitting fuel yet, we'll see when I get it in the water and put some time in it. Now I need to figure out the link and sync.... I did fix it partially because the throttle plates weren't closed completely.... Maybe that was causing the spitting out of the air bleeds..... But I need to set max timing and then it's ready.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Has the max timing been fooled with? If not I wouldnt mess with it.

Are you running the VRO fuel pump on this motor? What year motor is this?

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a 1985, very rough condition when I got it, I'm not expecting anything at all for quality of maintenance before I got it. The only thing going for me is good compression, after that..... Tons of bolt on repairs

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry forgot your other questions, vro pump installed but using premix instead,

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll post some tomorrow. I also found out I installed it way too low, anti cavitation plate 2" below the keel. That would explain a few things like porpoising, splashing from the lower unit into the back of the boat, hard to plane off etc.