Shifter Linkage Disconnection 1980's Evinrude 20 HP

poplar598

Cadet
The lower end oil was milky and oil leaked from above the lower unit when it was laid down, so I am trying to remove the lower end to pressure test it and most likely change the seals. I have all the boats removed, including the two on the shifter linkage. I beleive this linkage is the only thing holding on the lower end.

Can anyone advise please how to disconnect the linkage? I've tried tapping the lower end, applying WD40 to the linkage, and twisting the blade of a flat screw driver between the upper and lower halves of the linkage. 20150830_154919.jpg 20150830_154859.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The clamp is not in two halves Its all one piece, Once the screws are removed the ends of the shift rods should pull out of the clamp. Normally only necessary to remove one screw and pull one rod out.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
Looks like everything is removed for the lower unit to drop down. Play with it a little - it should drop. If not, top of the driveshaft may be stuck in the crankshaft. This can occur when someone has forgotten to replace the o-ring at the top of the driveshaft letting water creep up to the crank, forming rust. You may have to invert the motor and run penetrating oil down (up) the driveshaft to free it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Also, double check your model number as that is most definitely not a 1980s model. Likely early 1970s, as the ignition is contained under the flywheel.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has seperated so the crank is not stuck !!------A wee bit of force and it should seperate.