backwards battery let the smoke out

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
today i did a stupid thing and hooked my battery up wrong on my 94 15hp evinrude.:doh: smoke came out and i switched it back. the motor starts and runs, but is not charging the battery. i'm guessing the smoke came from the rectifier:confused:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well coolbri70, once that factory smoke is released, the part never works again...unless you can put that smoke back in the part(s). But nobody has been able to do that yet. So you will most likely have to buy a new part with the smoke still inside for it to work again... :facepalm: I would guess you got lucky if all you need is a new rectifier. But I'm guessing it is toast now as well...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Well coolbri70, once that factory smoke is released, the part never works again...unless you can put that smoke back in the part(s). But nobody has been able to do that yet. So you will most likely have to buy a new part with the smoke still inside for it to work again... :facepalm: I would guess you got lucky if all you need is a new rectifier. But I'm guessing it is toast now as well...

i was waiting at the ramp to leave and it was really busy, so i decided to run the kicker just for maintenance as it hasn't been run in over a month. after the mishap it started and ran good, but i checked when i got home and it's not charging the battery now. i need to get some red tape to wrap around the hot wire so this dont happen again. i will try to blow some smoke back in there if think it will help

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Rectifier is CDI part number 153-4597. Get it right here at iboats

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Letting the magic smoke out is never a good thing.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Rectifier is CDI part number 153-4597. Get it right here at iboats

i was looking here at iboats, says its out of stock:confused: maybe i'm not looking right because they don't even list a 1994 model

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
there is a listing for this part on a 93 model and for 95 up, but the part is out of stock. now this 94 had the electric start added to it, wonder if it came from a different year:confused: it appears to have 4 wires, 1 red and 3 yellow, the red one has insulation burned off, thinking this was the source of the smoke. looked at the 93http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinr...10938.2--session_id.661220087--view_id.335820 it looks like as F_R stated, but will have to source elsewhere

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
there is a listing for this part on a 93 model and for 95 up, but the part is out of stock. now this 94 had the electric start added to it, wonder if it came from a different year:confused: it appears to have 4 wires, 1 red and 3 yellow, the red one has insulation burned off, thinking this was the source of the smoke. looked at the 93http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinru...view_id.335820 it looks like as F_R stated, but will have to source elsewhere
Thats the one used on 1993 to 2001 9.9 and 15 hp Electric start models ..

Dont worry if the yellow wires are just plain yellow . no stripes, on the new one. It does not matter which way round the yellows are connected

Check the red wire in your motor for heat damage

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
being cheap i had to try to repair the rectifier before spending money on a new one soldered a new wire and it works now

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
being cheap i had to try to repair the rectifier before spending money on a new one.
soldered a new wire and it works now

Remember that a four wire rectifier contains 6 diodes . If you have only burnt out 1 or 2 it will still work but not properly.

It's worth testing it fully as described in the CDI electronics trouble shooting guide

http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/

IF yours has escaped completely unscathed you are extremely lucky

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
i will have to do more testing, but it is charging. not in a big hurry as it still runs fine and starts on the 1st pull if the battery goes dead

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Even IF your rectifier checks out perfect. I would still buy a new one and install. Because that little tiny wire you soldered to is really questionable and just waiting to come off IMO. Rectifiers are really not that expensive and would give me peace of mind knowing I installed one with long totally secured wires when out away from civilization on the water. But that is just me... If you really know about rectifiers and understand how they truly work, you could even buy bridge rectifiers and make them work. But the original rectifier is easy to locate and buy new... JMHO!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Even IF your rectifier checks out perfect. I would still buy a new one and install. Because that little tiny wire you soldered to is really questionable and just waiting to come off IMO. Rectifiers are really not that expensive and would give me peace of mind knowing I installed one with long totally secured wires when out away from civilization on the water. But that is just me... If you really know about rectifiers and understand how they truly work, you could even buy bridge rectifiers and make them work. But the original rectifier is easy to locate and buy new... JMHO!

i will buy a new one and install it. just being cheap for now. it's a back up motor and it starts and runs fine before i soldered the wire, just wasn't charging the battery. it has electric start but it starts with the rope on the 1st pull. sunday i did see 3 boats being towed in 1 by a jet ski. after i messed up with the battery i did hook it to my dead battery i used to troll all day and took it for a long ride, thats how i found out it wasnt charging