Lower unit/ gear case

Todd Menswar

Cadet
I have a 1987 25 hp johnson and I am trying to remove the gear case. I have the 4 easy bolts off plus the nut in front. It is now hanging open about an inch, but there is something keeping it from sliding out. There must be some linkage still connected. Help! Where could it be?

Dirk Diggler

Cadet
You have to remove the plate on the side. This gives you access to the shift linkage coupler. Unbolt the 2 shafts from each other. Once you take the plate off it will be pretty easy to figure out.

poplar598

Cadet
I'm doing the same thing. I removed the side plate and the two bolts from the coupler. So far, I have not been able to separate the coupler. I don't see how they are supposed to separate either.

Attachments

• 20150830_154859.jpg
    20150830_154859.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150830_154919.jpg
    20150830_154919.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

Todd Menswar

Cadet
There doesn't seem to be any plate. Not like the other guy's. I cannot find the shift linkage coupler. It seems to be hidden underneath. I have looked up various solutions on the net and my motor does not fit any of them. I do not have a fin where there is a hidden bolt. The linkage is not in the I inch opening held together by a screw. There is nothing under the starter or carb. I can hear the pin or plate hitting something when I lower the unit an inch.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Have you tried shifting gears. Perhaps it would move the linkage into view in a different gear.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
1987 25hp, remove the plastic water pickups on gear case, that's the coupler,seperate it raise the upper piece, remove the little plastic split keeper. Watch that little bugger keeper it likes to fly & hide, put in back in reverse order,you might want to clean the paint off the little shafts to make if easier.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
There doesn't seem to be any plate. Not like the other guy's. I cannot find the shift linkage coupler. It seems to be hidden underneath. I have looked up various solutions on the net and my motor does not fit any of them. I do not have a fin where there is a hidden bolt. The linkage is not in the I inch opening held together by a screw. There is nothing under the starter or carb. I can hear the pin or plate hitting something when I lower the unit an inch.
convert

Take off the water inlet screens #30 to reveal the coupler # 49 , 73 and 66