How do I remove the air silencer on 1958 Evinrude

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to resurrect an old '58 Evinrude 35HP that appears to be in pretty good shape. I've put a new water pump impeller on it, drained and changed the lower unit oil, and am now trying to rebuild the carb. Unfortunately, even after removing every screw in contact with the air silencer unit, I can't get it off of the carb. Actually that's not true; it's off the carb, but it won't come out of the lower housing. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance below for the lower mounting arm on the silencer to clear the top of the lower housing.

This doesn't seem like it ought to be this difficult, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. Am I supposed to unbolt the carb with the silencer still attached and remove the whole setup? That would be a neat trick, since the nuts holding the carb to the power head are nearly impossible to reach...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Since you asked, I'll tell you how I do it. I remove the flywheel. Then the electric starter with it's bracket plus the bracket on the other side. Now you can access the nuts on the carburetor and remove that and the silencer as one unit. Too much work, you say? Hey, weren't you going to check the ignition anyway?

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the knobs and the needle valves, but that didn't do the trick. I'll take a look at the packing nuts and see if that does it. Thanks