60 hp evinrude

willp

Cadet
my 1996 evinrude motor keeps blowing the fuse in the motor. When it has blown everything in the boat is dead,tilt-starter-lights etc. Does this fuse control all these accessiories . It is the fuse inside the engine cowling.
thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
willip, not sure how your engine is wired, but that doesn't sound correct. I can't see how the fuse in the cowl area blows and everything quits working. Sounds like somebody wired it up incorrectly. I would try to find a wiring schematic diagram for your engine and do the proper wiring and then address the boat wiring as well. Not know, or being there, it is hard to say where that mis-wired starts. But I would certainly change that before boating again... The fuse in the engine area should be connected from the battery positive side or the starter solenoid and goes to the key ignition switch (terminal listed as battery) to be used to power the engine up when turned on...not the entire boat accessories. Your wiring needs changed! JMHO!

willp

Cadet
willip, not sure how your engine is wired, but that doesn't sound correct. I can't see how the fuse in the cowl area blows and everything quits working. Sounds like somebody wired it up incorrectly. I would try to find a wiring schematic diagram for your engine and do the proper wiring and then address the boat wiring as well. Not know, or being there, it is hard to say where that mis-wired starts. But I would certainly change that before boating again... The fuse in the engine area should be connected from the battery positive side or the starter solenoid and goes to the key ignition switch (terminal listed as battery) to be used to power the engine up when turned on...not the entire boat accessories. Your wiring needs changed! JMHO!

Thanks. Is the fuse solely for the engine tilt or does it also control the engine start and running mode?
thanks

willp

Cadet
Thanks. Is the fuse solely for the engine tilt or does it also control the engine start and running mode?
thanks

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine running is independent from that fuse. But since +B on the key switch is fused, the starter and all accessories connected to the remote control will go down with that fuse.