Opinions Wanted on 1988 Evinrude 9.9HP

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
There is a 1988 9.9HP Evinrude longshaft for sale locally for $450 I am interested in. The owner states it has sat for a couple of years since he last used it when he sold his boat it was on. Supposedly it ran good prior to storage, started on first pull when removed from storage, and seems to run good now on muffs. He told me it's compression is 125 on both cylinders. I am just looking for opinions on this year model or similar year models and if there is anything particular I should check when I go look at it. I was planing on doing my own compression test, checking for water stream, checking LU oil for signs of water, and doing a spark test. I looked through all of the various parts diagrams for this particular motor and parts seem cheap enough that even if it has a few issues, as long as the LU looks good and compression is good, it would be a good deal.

evinrude.jpg

evinrude2.jpg

evinrude3.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
For starters, it's a little older than he claims. Looks to be about 1982. Not a show stopper, but just a point of note. Motor looks clean. It is a long shaft model, if that matters to you. Good design, made for many years, good runners. But, like anything, it's what happens between when it was new and now that determines if it's still a good motor or not. Sounds like you've got a good plan on that front with checking it out yourself. Price, in my area, would be for a running motor, so it's in the ballpark. Hope that helps...

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Check the model number. If the 3rd and 2nd last letters are CN, then it was made in 1982 as Chinewalker stated and it does look like is was from the motor cover. If those letters are CC then it is indeed a 1988 model.

Nothing wrong with the 1982 but if it turns out to be a 1982 model then I would be skeptical. Either he knows it was made in 1982 and is trying to deceive you and if that is the case, what else is he deceiving you on. Is he telling you the truth about the compression and single pull start. You can run it when you see it but give the head a feel before you let him start it to see if he was warming it up before you arrived. Most motors will start with one pull when warm. Checking LU for water can be futile because he can simply change out the water infested LU and put in good oil, say he didn't and give the impression that it is all fine. Anyway, many areas to deceive if the owner wants to.

If it turns out to be a 1982 and he simply did not know that, which he will state, then it tells me that he certainly did very little maintenance because I do not know how one buys a new impeller or carb kit or any other part without knowing the model year. So he is either lying or he has done little to no maintenance on the motor.
The last two paragraphs are all assumng it is a 1982 motor.

I wouldn't waste your time doing a spark test. If it runs the spark is probably pretty good. As for the long shaft. Do you need a long shaft. If you do not, this is the wrong motor. If you do it is. There is a reason for the different shafts and you want to be sure you are getting the one you need.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Appreciate the replies guys. Being off by 6 years on the year model isn't a huge deal to me. I don't really see the point of fudging it by that small of an amount. But good point about maintenance and not knowing the year. Maybe he took it to a mechanic for yearly servicing. It's surprising how many people actually don't do their own impellers or LU oil despite it being easier than your typical truck oil change .As to it being a longshaft, I likely wouldn't need it as this motor would be for a 14'-16' jon boat, however, those "mini jacker" plates seem to solve that problem alright. I know a few guys who run 9.9's on them and they actually get up on plane a little better due to the few inches of backset.

AlTn

Commander
looks like the swivel bracket has been changed out < different color >, I personally found it simpler to work on the older carbs, metal body versus plastic top..as Chine says, that's the going price in my area as well + or - $50...long shafts aren't as desirable here as this motor tends to be used more on the lower transom boats...if your compression numbers are in the same range and you can give it a "sea trial" that shows no concerns, I'd agree with the other posters that this seems a reasonable deal...no sea trial would raise some concerns

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting looking at the flywheel. Seems like dirt dobbers have nested in the flywheel. Or at least that what it looks like to me. Seems even hole in the flywheel has some dirt looking stuff around them. And I know from those things around where I live, the dirt dobbers will certainly nest in any little hole they can find...

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Just going to post that it sold before I had a chance to look. I'm lucky it did though actually...I fired up my 70hp Force for the first time Sunday that I just rebuilt and I lost spark to #1 cylinder after it got up to operating temperature. Already ruled out the plug leads, coils, grounds, and connections so I will likely end up having to buy a new switchbox or stator, both of which are $225+ from CDI Electronics.

Still gonna keep my eyes peeled for a good 9.9hp though. I need one in order to start fishing a local 10HP restricted lake and would prefer to buy the motor prior to the small aluminum boat to put it on.