1956 evinrude carb leak

Outdoordawg

Recruit
I picked up a 1956 15hp evinrude , I have been tinkering with the carb for a couple weeks now and I am lost, when connecting my pressure tank and priming 2 times gas begins to drip out of the front of the carb, after the motor fires and pressurizes the tank fuel begins to POUR out the carb , I have put two carb kits in it including floats all seals are properly seated , anyone have any idea how to stop the leak? I've been looking for a used carb but I'd rather not put more money into it if not needed

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Outdoor. welcome aboard.
Your leaky carb problem is a textbook symptom of a failure of the carb float - and or the seat that the float actuates.
DO we know the float actually floats? IS it a nice yellow color where you can see the cork? - or is it a dark color that looks like a stone?
Drop the float in gasoline and see if it sinks.
If the cork is good, with the carb in your hand, upside down (the carb - not your hand) the seated float should be level.
try blowing gently thru the fuel port and see if its sealing.

Best o luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Check the bowl vent. They don't plug up by themselves, but some unknowing person may have plugged it in an attempt at preventing flooding. It WILL flood with the vent plugged.

Outdoordawg

Recruit
The cork float is still good and the needle and seat are sealing, being new they'd better, I also have a new black float that I've tried in there as well, where is this vent you speak of? I used an air gun to blow through all the orfices, there are some spots that look to be vents but have plugs from the factory in them

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Look at the big hole where the choke is. Beside that hole is one or two smaller but fairly large (vent) holes. They lead into the chamber where the float is. Sometimes mud daubers plug them up just because that is what mud daubers do.

Outdoordawg

Recruit
Well I got the carb to quit over flowing, it wasn't a wasp , it was the dummy before me put lead shot in those two vent holes, so now she kinda runs but wasn't pumping water so I stopped pulled the lower unit , and it is stiff as can be could the old unburned oil junk lock up the lower unit ? I can get it to turn buts it's REALLY stiff