Fuel leak please help

Hindsey0313

Cadet
20150831_131347.jpg the line the fuel is pouring out when I pump primer bulb is the one with the zip tie on it the one that connects to the large brass fitting on the left is the main line from the filter

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Back up a couple feet and take the pic so we can see the whole set-up, fuel pump and all.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Looks as if you have the fuel supply line hooked into the pulse port that works the fuel pump which is missing.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
When I got the boat the vro pump was not there only thing left was the fuel manifold where from what I gather the pump hooked in to a guy that works where I do said to remove the fuel manifold and also remove the lines coming from the selinoid to the carbs and to plug them all so I did and it definitely did not help. I now have the selinoid hooked to the carbs again but i do not have a fuel pump all there is in the fuel system is the 6 gallon tank fuel hose primer bulb fitting on engine then the line goes to the inline filter from there it is hooked to the intake. That's how I got the boat if that is a pulse port for the pump how would I go about hooking it up correctly

I was wondering if I could hook the fuel manifold back to the carbs and the choke selinoid putting the main fuel line into the top of the fuel manifold where the missing vro pump hooked in then putting a small 12v inline fuel pump in hooked to a toggle switch so I can shut it off and on when I need and plug off the pulse port the main fuel line is in now shouldn't need it if I can use the 12v pump. Thanks for all the help.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
Model: HEP-02A
Current: 1.2A
Flows: 70(L/h)A
Pressure : 1 (mpa)
Input Voltage:12 Volt
Output Pressure: 3-6 PSI
Output Volume: 18-21 GPH
Inlet and Outlet diameter: 8mm

Details on inline pump I was looking at

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
You do what you want but I strongly suggest you get a older non vro factory pump and put on it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I would very much avoid putting an electric pump into it. Get the proper pump for a non-VRO system and be done with it. It's a simple, reliable system. Electric pumps can be quite dangerous in an outboard situation if the motor stalls or floods out.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
Ok I have an old 85 hp Chrysler motor if I am able to take the pump off from it would the way I was thinking about hooking it up correct

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Get a new one of the correct type. Putting a 40-year old (or older) pump on it is inviting issues with dried out diaphragm. New pumps aren't terribly expensive. OEM is part number 0398387, which I believe updates to 0438556. Can be had for under $100. Can be installed easily without replumbing everything. You can even get the aftermarket one from Sierra right here on iBoats:
http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump-18-...6824946--session_id.883201442--view_id.174141

Last edited:

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a thought, could you have the pulse line & carb lines reversed?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Have you been referring to a factory exploded parts diagram for your fuel plumbing issues? Check out this website: epc.brp.com. You will want to look for a 1983 90 hp parts diagram. Specifically the fuel pump and intake manifold pages. You can also substitute a 1972 125 hp fuel pump. The 83 pump mounts to the side of the block. If you don't have the pulse hole in the block, you can purchase a 3-port 125 pump and plumb the pulse line to the old VRO hose from your prior pump. These are the current (superceded) part numbers for: 1983 pump: 438556 1972 pump: 438559

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Plumbing the non vro pump is not hard & definitely the way I would go. You've got a fuel line in (coming from the tank) & a line out (going to carbs & primer system) & the pulse line. Some had the provision to mount the pump directly to the block with the pulse port between the two mounting bolts however, my 1990 model did not so I ran a line from the pulse port on the engine to the pump & mounted the pump fast with some wire ties & it works perfectly now. No way would I run an electric fuel pump without a safety system in place such as an oil pressure switch that cuts power to the pump in the event the motor dies. You or I may not always remember to kill the pump when the engine stalls but that failsafe system will. Good luck. Jim.

Before you order your new pump see if it will fit on the block or not. I thought they all had the mounting bosses on either side of the pulse port but they don't & I had to remanufacture my pump because I didn't get one that was threaded for a hose barn to go into the pulse port. Mine just had a hole in the back of the pump to mount flush to the block & I had to make a plate to bolt to the pump with a barbed nipple on it to hook the hose to. I hope I haven't confused you too bad. I'm not sure how to post pics but maybe someone can post a pic of what it's supposed to look like for you.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All the V-4 crossflow 90 / 88 hp models had a spot for the simple pump to mount on the intake manifold !!!---They mount near the starter motor with a gasket and 2 screws.---Plug for the pulse port inbetween the screws must be removed.--Simplest way way to go.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
I got an aftermarket pump it is hooked with a hose to the pulse port a fuel in and a fuel out line it seems to work it's pumping fuel to the carbs but the engine won't start I do not have the choke selinoid hooked back up yet I need to get some more of the small hose that runs to the carbs I remember I was told on here that it would be hard to stat without that selinoid hooked up what way should I have the little orange valve on top of the selinoid pointed it doesn't say anything on it

Hindsey0313

Cadet
Thank you all got the motor all back together and seems to be running great in the tub going to try it out this weekend first ride I traded a guy a 22 for the boat trailer and motor.