Fuel leak please help

Hindsey0313

Cadet
I have a 1986 johnson 90 hp v4 the vro system is removed and all the lines that went to the pump have been plugged I have fuel pouring out the idle bleed line that goes to the base of the air slincer as soon as I pump the primer ball I just replaced the intake gasket and all fuel lines. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks
Justin

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you have a float problem.
remove the air silencer cover and see if which carb the fuel is running out of.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
I did it's not coming out the carbs at all I've cleaned and rebuilt both twice it is coming out the air line that runs from the bottom of the slincer to the bottom of the intake manifold

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
It not a air Lin it's a recirculation hose for when the fuel funs from carbs when tilted up it puts the fuel in the crack case.
does the bulb get hard when you pump it ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Could be a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm allowing fuel to run into the crankcase.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
No the bulb doesn't get hard it stays full of fuel doesn't loose prime it seems like the fuel is not even getting to the carbs since I replaced intake gasket before replacing the intake gasket I did not have this problem.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you removed the vro, could the lines be plumbed wrong? Had that problem with a motor once.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
It sounds as if fuel is passing through the fuel pump entering the block through the pulse port.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
The lines from the vro are all removed blocked where they went to bowls on carbs and where they came from selinoid to carbs are as far as a diaphragm goes I don't know where to locate it I don't see it on my diagram

45490.gif

Attachments

• 45490.gif
    45490.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
In your drawing look at item 57 & 58 . Possibly a place to mount the pump, witch pump are you replacing the vro with?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
You also have a primer solenoid that is mounted the same side as the control cables opposite side from fuel pump.
this will have lines coming from it which are about the size of weed eater fuel line this system takes place of the butterflies for choke system. There is a red lever on it one way is manual the other way is auto which you push the key in to activate. If that lever is in manual when you pump the bulb it will run fuel straight into the crank case. Check the lever.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
That primer selinoid is completely unhooked and the lines coming from it to the tops of the carbs are also plugged off is that supposed to be hooked up even if the vro pump is removed? a guy I work with said I had to unhook it because it was part of the vro system?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The guys are right, the line at the bottom of the airbox that connects to a hose barb at the bottom front of the airbox drain line. The airbox drain accumulates any excess fuel that may come from the carbs, (esp- if the engine is tilted up after running) redirects that fuel/oil mixture into the bottom cylinder, where it is burned off just after the engine starts. When this burn off occurs, the just-started engine may smoke more than normal. That extra smoke may last for up to a minute after starting. It's normal for some small amount of fuel to drain out of the front of the carbs after the engine is shut off and is tilted up for fishing or for travel, after loading on the trailer. Make sure the fuel hose is plugged into the engine correctly. The arrow on the hose bulb should point the way the fuel flows-toward the engine. The hose bulb should get hard when first pumped up prior to the first start of each day. Once the engine starts and draws fuel through the line, the bulb should soften slightly, but should not collapse on itself. The fuel manifold distributes fuel to both the carbs and the fuel primer. The fuel primer must be connected to the tops of both carbs, as that is the choke mechanism on this engine. You'll have a really tough time starting this engine cold, without a choke system, so reconnect the fuel primer and hoses. Additionally, the factory 86 intake manifold has a recirculation system plumbed to it. This is a system of hoses and check valves that, when connected, improves the idle of the engine. It should be replaced as per the original factory diagram as found in the factory service manual. The hose routing for this engine is found on page 2-33.

Last edited:

Hindsey0313

Cadet
All of four of the check valves that are plumbed into the intake manifold are there and hooked up two from the top go to a T from the T one line back to the block on the right hand side of the boat bottom two one goes to each side of the motor and reconnect into the block. the selinoid with the red arrow on top of it had 3 lines coming out of it one two each carb body and one to a tree that that had a line to each carb bowl and one to the vro pump the pump was gone when I got the boat a guy at work said plug all of the lines from the vro system I didn't realize the lines from the selinoid were a separate system I will hook that back up and just plug where the vro pump line came in.

When I pump the primer ball I can see the fuel going through the inline filter If i pump the ball roughly 3 to 4 times the ball does not get hard or even firm but does push fuel when squeezed it has a new primer and new fuel line and fittings when I squeeze it roughly 3 to 4 times fuel starts pouring out the recirculation line that runs from the bottom of the air slincer to the base of the intake I just recently replaced the intake gasket before I did the gasket this was not an issue I know for sure I put the gasket with the right orientation. It has a few small holes in it that match up with ports that are on the intake and channels that are in the block I have another gasket and can try to re do it to be sure I have all ports lined up. Could I be missing something that could be causing this to happen

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
So, the recirc and choke system should be good to go. Now, I'd pull the airbox cover off. Have a look inside when you prime the fuel hose bulb. You may see fuel coming out the front of one of the carbs. The fuel bulb should get hard when pumped up. If it is not, possible one of the needle and seats may not be functioning inside one/both carbs. Once the fuel level rises inside the carb bowls, the needle should shut off incoming fuel and cause the bulb to get hard. Sounds like that's not happening. If you are getting fuel running out the front on one/both carbs when primed, you should consider taking the carbs apart for a visual inspection of the needle/seat and float functioning.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
i will give that a try tomorrow and let ya know my results thank you very much for all the help. so we are all on the same page at the moment the fuel is not leaking out the carbs at all not a drip only spot that is leaking fuel is that air line that pulls the fuel back from the air box into the intake it was leaking like this I watched as I primed the bulb with the cover off only started that when I replaced the intake gasket. Again thank you I will give every thing you have said a try.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Think maybe the line that comes from the fuel log to the primer that is disconnected might have got plumed into the rec system that's still hooked up? If you're 100% certain it's not coming from the carbs. And it's not passing through the fuel pump into pulse port this would be the only other way.
you did make sure it's not passing through the fuel pump like I stated in a earlier post right? Think someone else mentioned it also.

Hindsey0313

Cadet
On my boat the fuel comes in to the cowl to a inline filter then to part number 57 in the drawing that goes through the intake and goes to the side of the leaf valve cage no where in the fuel system did I see anything that resembles a fuel pump or any kind of diaphragm in the intake. Not sure if I'm missing any parts but from the drawing I was going by I had everything but the vro pump

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Surely there is a fuel pump on that engine....The fuel line should enter the cowling and go directly to the vertical fuel filter. From there, it should go direct to the inlet of the fuel pump. Whether you are using a VRO type pump or one of the older mechanical type pumps. It should not be plumbed to item #57, that is the airbox drain nipple. You can view the factory fuel pump plumbing arrangement on their diagram called: VRO pump. Check it out on the factory exploded parts diagram website: epc.brp.com Hose #19 is from the oil tank to the fuel pump. The fuel hose item #20 goes to the fuel pump inlet. Once pressurized, the fuel is pumped out into the hose #23, where it is distributed to the plastic fuel manifold (the carbs and the choke solenoid.)