Hot light

skruff33

Seaman
1970 85 hp johnson ..won't pee .hot light comes on after a little bit ...replaced water impeller still no pee and hot light comes on is there anything else that would cause this ....possibly thermostat sticking ...how can I tell if water is pumping to tell if water pump is function ...and or thermostat without removing the parts ..thanks n advance...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You have it on a boat, on the lake, or are you bucket cruising?

skruff33

Seaman
I was testing with muffs and then I try ed a bucket ...that covers the whole prop and we're the water suks thru at bottom of unit...could this b the reason .thanks fr .ant other info ..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Is this a new to you motor? I don't know if a your 1970 motor had a tell tale. I had to install my own on a 77. When doing maintenance on a cooling system I usually remove the T stats, LU and back flush the system into a bucket to see if anything was lodged inside.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In the first place, it is impossible to test a water pump on muffs. You could completely remove the impeller and hose pressure would force water through the cooling system. Secondly, I don't think your bucket is adequate either. The water pump must be submerged before starting the motor. Try it where it was designed to run---on the lake. But don't burn it up--you may have damaged the impeller from dry running in the bucket.

skruff33

Seaman
Ok so I lake tested in water water was spitting out left exhaust port 1 inch hole nothing out right port.....any suggestion mayb plugged up or bad t Stat ...I'm gonna remove in test t Stat tommorro ...any other suggestions are appreciated thanks Bob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So in the lake did the hot light come on? You may need a gauge to see what the temp really is. When running on muffs did the power head get hot to the touch when the light came on? Do you have an IR gun to shoot the temp of the power head?