2000 55hp Commercial Johnson Charging - How To?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2000 55hp Johnson commercial outboard. It was bare bones manual everything when I got it. I've since converted it to electric start, remote control, and added a CMC TnT, but I'd really like to set it up to charge my starting battery while running, since I use it for lights and GPS/Depth finder also. Would anyone be able to tell me what I'd need to buy or find to make this work, and how to hook it up? I've read online that some of these engines has a charging system, but I have to assume mine doesn't since when I bought it, there were never any wires coming out of the hood to go to a battery.

Any help would be appreciated. I can take pics of under the hood if needed also, just let me know.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Your best bet would be to find a 48-50 hp omc that has the charge coil & rectifier set up on it & swap it to yours, I have done this to the 55 comm, it will work. This is the only way to do it that I am aware of. It was awhile ago that I did this but I found a old froze up 50 hp remote Johnson & swapped the stator plate & rectifier to my 55, & it worked. good luck