Very Stuck Flywheel

Alright everyone I am either doing something wrong or I have a very very stuck flywheel. The motor is a 1957 Johnson 18hp FD-11. I have removed the pull start assembly. I have also removed the nut on the top of the shaft as well as the three screws that are around it. I tried using a flywheel puller and it is on there so good that the bolts were starting to pull the threads out of the flywheel. Does anyone have any other ideas on getting it loose? Did I miss removing a part that is holding it on? I am about to go buy a massive 3 jaw puller and try that but id rather not spend the money if there is an easier way. Any help is much appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Stick with the flywheel puller. DO NOT use a 3-jaw puller or you'll end up needing a new flywheel. Make sure you're using grade 8 bolts. Make sure you're threading them in as far as they'll go. Get them good and snug in there, give the center bolt a few turns to really torque it in there, then give the edge of the puller a good rap with a hammer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
if you put bolts in too far you can damage the coils !-----Make the center bolt " red faced tight " and give the center bolt a good bump with a 2 lb ball peen hammer.----And forget the idea of a 3 jaw puller.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If removed flywheel nut, should screw it back on a few turns to protect the shaft from the flywheel puller center bolt. ^^"red faced" tight, and use that hammer. Object of keeping the bolt on is also to keep the flywheel from popping up off the shaft when it releases. If still doesn't release, tighten down the puller bolt a little more if you can, and dribble some ATF around the shaft -- let it set overnight and smack it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
I've resorted to putting my impact wrench on the center bolt of the puller when all else failed. That has worked every time for me. But I don't recommend it until you've exhausted all other options.

I am going to pick up Grade 8 bolts tomorrow after work. Until then I plan on putting a little pb blaster on the shaft to try and loosen the flywheel as much as possible. I will update you all after I give it another try. I am hoping to get it off so I can replace the ignition components and have it on the water for labor day weekend. Not looking super promising at the moment but we shall see. Changing out the coils and such doesnt take long at all.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
have the sister motor ('Rude) -- good idea to get some plug wiring while you are at it, 7mm with the solid wire core. If reusing the old wiring, check continuity before reinstalling. need the wire core. That flywheel -- had them release on their own overnight, and had them pop like they were exploding. Be careful.

This motor was my grandfathers. His old wooden boat has since rotted away and the motor laid under a tarp in the yard for almost 10 years. So far I have done a nos gas tank, fuel lines, sparkplugs and i cleaned the carburetor out. I have a complete electrical kit all ready to install, coils, points, plug wires etc. Just gotta get past this damn flywheel. Is there anything else i forgot to get this old motor going again. I tried starting it about a week ago and it would run for a few seconds and die. I'm assuming its the electrical and timing.

Yes I did test the compression. It was good. I believe this motor has very low run time. It is in very good shape for its age.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
should put in an impeller/water pump. sounds like storage for the last decade was a little sketchy, but sounds very promising. Might post some pics (pics of oldies will get some attention). You can check the magneto through that viewing port on top of the flywheel -- with flywheel stuck in place. Look for delaminated coil casings -- can adjust points that way too. Maybe you are beyond that, though. Tank OK?

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
To get my flywheel off I put pressure on the puller, meaning make it tight, then tap gently upward on the flywheel with a hammer avoiding the edge with the teeth.

should put in an impeller/water pump. sounds like storage for the last decade was a little sketchy, but sounds very promising. Might post some pics (pics of oldies will get some attention). You can check the magneto through that viewing port on top of the flywheel -- with flywheel stuck in place. Look for delaminated coil casings -- can adjust points that way too. Maybe you are beyond that, though. Tank OK?

I was thinking impeller/water pump would be a good idea but i wanted to make sure it was running decent first. I am replacing coils, points, etc. as soon as I get the damn flywheel off lol. I will post some pictures tonight when I get home. Someone was trying to be sneaky over the years because my 18hp fd-11 has a period correct 10hp cover on it.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Keep in mind that flywheel removal jobs can take quite a while.
I recall mine that I left under pressure with the puller for a day and a half.
I was in the kitchen the next day and I hear this BANG - the flywheel came off. Glad I left the nut on the end of the shaft to catch the sucker from becoming a projectile!
patience pays off in this task.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
To get my flywheel off I put pressure on the puller, meaning make it tight, then tap gently upward on the flywheel with a hammer avoiding the edge with the teeth.

I would avoid hitting the actual flywheel with anything. It's not hard to crack them or throw them off balance...

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
t
Took 4 days to have one come loose, repeated it every day, left tension on it gave another turn each day.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seem flywheel removal is a very interesting topic on these forums. Yes they are really stuck on there and that is because it uses a tapered fit. So apply as much force as you can using the proper flywheel puller and, of course, grade eight bolts. Then tighten it as much as you can. I used an impact wrench with a lot of ft/lbs of torque to remove mine. I realize some don;'t like that method. So do whatever you think's best. But keep the force on it 'til it pops off. But be prepared for a loud smack when it does let loose. I thought my flywheel actually broke from the sound. But it was intact and just off... :thumb:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^^yup, like gm280 says. can be pretty violent (recommend leather work gloves).

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ditto the two above.Be patient,tighten a little and tap each day.I've had them take up to a week to pop.