Evinrude function ov distributor

bjornj

Recruit
Hi, I have an Evinrude outboard motor from 1969 with 60Hp, 3Cyl, DCI-Box and 2 breaker points in parallel. I have two questions. First, how does the spark-distributor work. What I think is the distributor is a black plastic ring that also holds the generator coils. To this ring is the (spark) cable from the ignition coil connected and out goes three cables to the spark-plugs in 120 deg angle. The ring is placed above the breaker points symmetrical around the crank-shaft. How is the spark distributed to the right spark-plug?<br />No moving parts are visible like in a traditional distributor on older cars.<br />Second question: Why are there two breaker points in parallel? They seem to open three times/rev simultaneously.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude function ov distributor

hello<br /> the distributor has the same function as the distributor on a car. the rotor is the small plastic part retained by a wave washer and the flywheel. the rotor is keyed to the crank for indexing. they have become rather expensive. the dist will press off the stator assy.the funtion of the dual points is for reliable spark every 120* of crank rotation with just two actuating cams. if all is well its a workable system, however the amplifiers were sometimes problematic. and expensive. someplace around here I have a manual that explains in greater detail. nice to know I guess but I have found its nicer to know how to change them and insure the trigger plate ground is intact and never forget the antireversing spring :) :) <br />that was a drawback to the set up. without that spring the powerhead is just as likely to fire up backwards as forwards :) . dont ask how I found out :) :)

bjornj

Recruit
Re: Evinrude function ov distributor

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> hello<br /> the distributor has the same function as the distributor on a car. the rotor is the small plastic part retained by a wave washer and the flywheel. the rotor is keyed to the crank for indexing. they have become rather expensive. the dist will press off the stator assy.the funtion of the dual points is for reliable spark every 120* of crank rotation with just two actuating cams. if all is well its a workable system, however the amplifiers were sometimes problematic. and expensive. someplace around here I have a manual that explains in greater detail. nice to know I guess but I have found its nicer to know how to change them and insure the trigger plate ground is intact and never forget the antireversing spring :) :) <br />that was a drawback to the set up. without that spring the powerhead is just as likely to fire up backwards as forwards :) . dont ask how I found out :) :)