1984 Johnson 60hp throttle / shift cable install question

paulinboise

Cadet
While I am admittedly a rookie at this, I do know cars but this outboard is a different animal. I just replaced both the throttle and shift cables on my grandparents 1984 Alumacraft Sunfisher16 with a 60hp Johnson outboard. This was pretty straight forward, I ordered the exact same cables, 11ft for throttle and 12 ft. for whatever the other one is (choke). Anyways, the install went great and everything is back together and I have the hose/muffs hooked up but when I start the motor it revs so hi that I have to shut it off. So I crank down the cable adjustments tighter and basically it will only idle lower once I shift it forward into gear but in neutral it’s all messed up. Another clue would be that when I shift it forward the shifter/throttle arm will only go to about 2 oclock position, the straight up nuetral then forward from 1 oclock to about 3 oclock is all messed up too.

The issue is I can’t figure out how to get to a neutral position on the cables at the motor. Clearly I am off on the adjustments but could you some help on the basic approach to calibrating the cables and control box back to normal idle and operation. The choke level on control box is off/down, the key cylinder seems to be normal and not stuck pushed in by the key but I will have to double check this because when I put control box back together it didn’t align straight for the key, was more like 2 oclock angle for key entry.

Any help is appreciate, this motor and boat is cherry, very low hours and ran great prior to the cables cracking and needing replaced.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

1-IMG_7920.JPG 2-IMG_7921.JPG 6-IMG_7925.JPG 5-IMG_7924.JPG 3-IMG_7922.JPG 7-IMG_7926.JPG 4-IMG_7923.JPG

Last edited:

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Undo the cables at the motor completely..
operate the controls to see if you have full movement.
watch the cable ends the one that moves the most is throttle cable the other one is shift cable.
once you have this sorted out using your hand work the shift lever at the motor back and forth while turning the prop with help or I use my foot to do so. Find neutral spin prop wit hand as fast as you can to make sure you don't hear any clicking then make adjustment to remount the cable in the holder without moving shift linkage.
then make sure throttle arm is against the idle stop and adjust throttle cable and remount. Make sure the controls are in neutral after identification of each cable.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The shift cable is the only one that moves in two directions. Why did you order 2 different length cables usually they are the same make sure one isn't binding where it makes a turn.