Johnson 9.5hp outboard problems

Alter_

Cadet
I have a 9.5hp johnson from 1960s maybe 70s. The boat sat for awhile in a garage. I have no idea how long but enough that there was a nest inside the engine compartment. I cleaned out the nest and started the engine. First pull was totally amazed. Brought the boat out on the lake ran fine that whole day.
Second time out the engine got fresh gas and oil properly mixed. The engine would go great then slow down go great slow down. I couldn' tmake sense of this as it worked great the first time i took it out. Then I started thinking well the gastank probably has a bunch junk in the tank. *(water debri etc)* so I cleaned the tank out completely. New gas and oil. Third time out the engine ran fantastic. One pull to start. The engine ran really strong and then slowly started to lose power. Then I shut it off thinking the worst. Gave it a few minutes while I fished and let the engine cool. I went to start it and I couldn't for the life of me get it going. I saw gas and oil in the water so I know it was getting proper fuel. Could this be a clogged inline filter, fowled plug, bad carb?

TLDR: engine lost power and wouldn't start again.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check what's easiest first, but suspect a carb issue (clean and rebuild, typically). Check the plugs for condition (dry, fouling, etc.), and will need to make sure you have spark on both. Approach sounds good (and I always like a nest of some kind in one of my finds -- means it has't been tinkered with and set aside. Not recently anyway.) Ah, just kind of neat to resurrect an old one. Welcome to the forum.

Alter_

Cadet
Thanks for the response. I'm going to get the motor on a stand and go at it.

Here are some pictures of before and after.

How I got the boat

vQ3jRxH.jpg

Almost finished :)
MzTeQwI.jpg

more pictures here
http://imgur.com/a/QmBPT

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
very nice rig, Alter. Thanks for the pics. Can clean up that engine hood with some soft scrub, sponge, maybe fine sanding sponge. Or just start with some Windex and a sponge (least aggressive best, to start). Looks like a nice original, doesn't need cosmetic restoration. Get it running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't go tearing into that carburetor unless you have narrowed the problem down to that. It is getting plenty of gas, that's why you saw it floating on the water. Now you need a good hot spark to ignite it in the combustion chambers. Saying much more likely, you have an ignition problem.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor appears to be a 1969 model.----Check for spark that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.----Typically these motors will have 2 new coils in them or it needs 2 new ones.

Alter_

Cadet
Ok so I finally got to the motor today. Pulled the plugs and checked for spark. Got spark. So I cleaned the plugs and put those back in. Checked the fuel filter. That was clean. So I cleaned that also a little just incase. Hooked up my gas line and primed the ball. Noticed my ball was leaking. Not sure if I have a crack in the hose or what but that could be why it was running funny as it was getting air in the fuel line????
Moving on i then went to start the engine. Full choke and pulled .. nothing.. scratched my head and half choke and pulled nothing.. took a little carb cleaner and sprayed that into the intake and it started up and kept running with no issue.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
something to watch for on those motors - the carburetor floats are all cork. replacements are cork. old cork floats tend to absorb gasoline and lead to flooding issues. I love these motors, might just be nostalgia because it was my first. I've got 4 of them

Alter_

Cadet
I picked upa new fuel line and pump as the old one was leaking. Made sure to pick up evinrude 2 stroke oil. Got my starter fluid tucked int he boat just incase. Not sure if it was just a fluke but I will have a better report after this weekend. Got my trolling motor as backup incase things go bad.

Alter_

Cadet
Took the boat out this weekend. Started first pull then died out again. Had to use some starting fluid to get it started and it ran fine. However when I would go to neutral and let it idle it would cluck out and same thing with slowing down when in drive it would clunk out. running too rich?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try adjusting the low speed needle. Turn it in clockwise until gently seated, then back out 1 1/2 turns and try to start motor. With the motor running, adjust for best idle setting. If you can get it running at idle for a while (best idle you can get), it may smooth out some. Keep an eye on temp. Top of powerhead should not be too hot to touch. May need carb work, but can try some adjustment and running first.

Alter_

Cadet
Went camping and the motor started up first pull then died at idle. Needed to use some carb cleaner to get it started again. Was able to drive around no problem. Then I noticed that under load the engine felt like it was skipping a gear? so it would rev high and not go anywhere. Think something got chewed up ? How much do you think it would cost to have a shop just look at it and get it sorted. It wants to run but it needs some attention. I'm not familiar and thinking it would be smarter to just bring it to a shop.

Sascwatch

Seaman
Not many shops will even look at these old motors.

Is the motor reving up high and you don't go no where? Or does it feel like you hit something underwater when it jumps out of gear?

I would start with the low speed adjustment and go from there, probably requires a carb rebuild.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you want this motor to have a future I would stop using starter fluid on it.Instead put a little premixed fuel in a squirty bottle and squirt a little into the carb choke.
Your problem sounds carb related but also try running it without the cowl.These motors are notorious for exhaust leaks under it that suffocate the motor.

lindy46

Captain
If the motor revs up and goes nowhere when you goose it, but will move at slow speeds only, you may have a spun prop hub.