1965 Evinrude 9.5 revs but has no power

glick

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1965 9.5 that will rev up when in gear, but those rpms don't translate to the propeller. It was running fine all day today then as we were underway the power to the prop seemed to vanish and we slowed way down, but the engine never stopped running at the rate that it was. The motor will move the boat at slow speeds, and does idle well, but there is no high end power. As soon as you twist the throttle up the power cuts off but the motor revs up.

Help Please!!!! :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install another propeller and try it again.--------Sounds like the rubber drive hub in the propeller is slipping.-------And yes your prop does have a rubber drive hub !!!

glick

Cadet
Replaced the prop and went out on the river today. Everything was going fine when all of a sudden... engine revs and we don't move! This time we didn't move at all. So I paddle, and paddle down the river to the landing and pull the boat. Pull off the prop and find that the drive pin is in three pieces! I am assuming that whatever caused the drive hub in the old propeller to spin out probably weakened the drive pin enough that the thrust from the new prop was too much. So now I have a new drive pin on the way.