PTT fuel cap on or off while bleeding ?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
This is from the OMC manual for PT&T. You loosely install the plug and then run it through 5 cycles, adding fluid as needed. Unit must be in a vertical position. Tighten plug down when complete. Hope this answers your question.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PTT fuel cap on or off while bleeding ?

Hi there,<br /><br />I did my homework I hope, but I have two conflicting tips from admirals :) on the question if the filler screw should be on or off while cycling the PTT after refilling the fluid:<br /><br />June 2003, Hooty, Rear Admiral<br />Reply With Quote <br />Leave the filler screw out while bleeding. I can't help with the clicking noise but usually air in the system causes either slow or no tilt or trim.<br /><br /><br />But on June 2004 on the question:<br />.. go through the 5 cycles of up down motion with or without the fill cap on? <br /><br />DJ, Fleet Admiral posted<br /><br />With Quote No, put it back on.<br /><br />Is this depending on the type of PTT ? Or<br />depending on the problem ?<br /><br />Thanks guys and have a great weekend

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: PTT fuel cap on or off while bleeding ?

Thanks Jack,<br /><br />I have the OMC manual, but thought maybe it's a special trick with having it open. Never done it before.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by boatsrfun:<br /> Hi there,<br /><br />I did my homework I hope, but I have two conflicting tips from admirals :) on the question if the filler screw should be on or off while cycling the PTT after refilling the fluid:<br />
Boatsrfun,<br />The manual for my 115ETL75 says that it should be off for the first lift and then installed just one thread for the next five cycles.<br /><br />The first time it says to have an assistant help raise the motor and to squirt oil into the reservoir as the pistons raise. I can you just imagine the legal department having a fit about instructions like that, but if it doesn't kill you, it would probably work pretty good. ;) <br /><br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe, another good trick.<br /><br />I'll use my wife to fill the reservoir then,<br />so it's not too dangerous for me :) <br /><br />Although I thought the engine should be up all the time during the 5 cycles :confused:

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by boatsrfun:<br /> Although I thought the engine should be up all the time during the 5 cycles :confused:
Boatsrfun,<br /><br /> My manual describes a cycle as running the engine all the down and then all the way up. You check the fluid while it is all the way up. Not sure what a cycle means for your setup, but I suspect it is the same.<br /><br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe,<br /><br />I now put my money on the "close cap" procedure. :) <br />I filled it up while the motor was fully up and had the cap closed only slightly. On the way down, the fluid suddenly spurted out and of course the engine was on the way down and I couldn't reach the cap.<br />I filled it up again and drove it down/up. down was fine, up slow with gurgling sounds.<br /><br />Opening the cap produced a hissing sound. Filled a little more, up/down etc. Sound (gurgle) dissapeared each time more, hissing as well.<br />After 5 times up / down, it now sounds fine, goes up fast.<br /><br />Think I've made it. :D <br /><br />Thanks all for your advice from a happy first time PTT repairer :)