Help! 8hp Johnson recoil starter rope problem

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The starting rope on my 1994 Johnson 8hp model J8RLERE outboard was frayed and needed to be replaced. I am unfamiliar with how these things work so called on my 72 y.o. buddy to give me a hand. He messes with recoil lawnmower starters all the time.

We successfully removed the recoil unit and got the old rope off. However, my buddy let go of the thing and the recoil spring unwound and disengaged from the housing. It did stay in place and didn't go flying out though. Whew!

After much aggravation and a bit of ingenuity we got it back together with the new rope installed. We wound the spring in the direction indicated in the housing.

BUT! I don't know what we did wrong but the rope was loose and hanging out. :confused: It only retracts part way into the housing. Shouldn't it retract fully into the housing?

So I tried winding the spring the other direction and the spring popped loose and is disengaged again. We'll have to take it apart and start over. Arrghh!

And my buddy had to leave for an appointment so I'm here alone and stuck with trying to get this thing figured out.

Hep me, hep me! LOL

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hxr_WboKA&feature=youtu.be

starter rope2.jpg

starter rope1.jpg

starter rope3.jpg

starter rope4.jpg

starter rope5.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It ain't Brain Surgery but...It IS a PITA!!! Basically just wind the spring Counter clockwise as tight as you can get it and then attach the end of the rope and let the spring pull the rope back inside the housing.

This might help too...

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks! While I was waiting another friend stopped by to show me a 5' rattler he bush hpgged next door to me. He knew how to fix the rope and we're all set here. At last I can splash my boat!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Here's the scary deal from next door! :eek:

The starter's all fixed and I'm ready to splash my little Kingfisher. But it's not gonna happen for a couple more days at the earliest. Dangit.

Thanks again for the help! :joyous:

bush hogged.jpg