1975 70 hp Evinrude won't throttle all the way up

Smith145

Recruit
I was heading back to the marina at full throttle when I hit a bit of wake causing the engine to slow down. I was very low on fuel and thought this might be the problem since the throttle would adust on it's own as the boat rocked. I filled up at the gas dock with 91 ethanol free, 50:1 2 stroke oil, and a capful of sta-bil 360. The problem persisted and basically was at half throttle when in WOT. Any ideas on how to fix this? I primed the bulb at the dock before I left but did not while running.

On a side note a small amount of oil/gas mixture leaks out of the shaft near the engine casing when pulling up the motor at the dock.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Have you pulled the hood and done any testing?
a common test would be a cylinder drop test by having the motor running pull plug wire one at a time to see if any difference the cylinder that does not change is the one not firing.
check the spark to see if it jumps a 7/16 gap
if that checks ok then do a compression test on all cylinders make sure they are all about the same.
if they are then move to the carbs by removing and disassembling and cleaning them very good.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't dive into anything major before doing the simple stuff. Like check the spark plugs!!!

Smith145

Recruit
Thanks for the help! Do I need earmuffs while doing a spark and compression test since I'll be cranking it?

Smith145

Recruit
121/121/123 psi cylinder pressure. Spark plugs looked oily. Checked the fuel pump filter and the screens looked fine...