Impellor change on 1989 70 hp Johnson

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
#1 Is it necessary to unhook any linkage up near the powerhead to drop the foot on a 1988 70 hp Johnson?<br /><br /> #2 Or do I simply remove the bolts on the foot and remove the entire foot and shaft assembly?<br /><br /> I'm hoping it's number two :confused:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Impellor change on 1989 70 hp Johnson

All OMCs with a shift rod (not electric shift) require that the rod be disconnected before dropping the lower unit. On many motors the connection point is just below the rear of the lower carb. Other motors are disconnected via an access port on the lower leg or can be seen after the gearcase drop about 1/2". I think both of your motors are below the carb. The OMC shop manual covers this very clearly.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's what I was afraid of....I looked at it closely and it is far from a picnic to get to.<br /><br /> Oh well,outboard mechanics have to eat too!! :rolleyes:

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, if someone knows that, the same for a<br />1991 90 HP Johnson ?<br /><br />and I also hope its number two ;) <br /><br />ALthough there is a topic further down on a 2000<br />Johnson and THAT sounds difficult !!!!<br /><br />And to my Selco manual, we would have to<br />"Remove the bolt or bolts from the shift disconnect under the lower carburetor". And it looks damn dark and tight down there.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks SoLittle,<br />I have already ordered the OMC manual, as the Seloc<br />gives me craps sometimes.<br /><br /><br />calm like a bomb:<br /><br />could you keep me posted on your success ?<br />iboats @ mrbarth.com<br /><br />I'll propably wait until you made all the mistakes :) .<br /><br />I have enought trouble with my Trim/Tilt before<br />I start the pump.<br /><br />good luck anyway<br />BTW. The topic lower unit removal furtehr down might help us.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boatsrfun,<br /> I looked at it again today and I'm 99% sure I'll give someone else the "pleasure" on that little adventure.<br /><br /> It's way too tight and requires too much disassembly to remove the carbs,etc for me to get too fired up about tackling it.I've already had all of the carbs off and rebuilt them years ago.<br /><br /> I still have a good flow from the tell-tale stream so it is not critical at this time.<br /><br /> I'll take it to the shop this winter when the waiting list is not two months long and let them replace the impellor.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boatsrfun,<br /><br /> I did a search by entering nothing but (70hp) and found an older post that said to use a 7/16" socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extention to get the little bugger out.<br /><br /> The gentleman tried it and it seemed to go OK.<br />Who knows,maybe I'll get a wild hair and try it this winter?<br /><br /> One more thing..That's a nice looking dog you have,nothing looks more peaceful than a sleeping dog....

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Walker,<br /><br /> 200% at least!!You are telling the truth there!!<br />I've been an expert at taking things apart since I was about 5 years old.It's a little harder to put them back together.<br /> Thanks for the info on the bolt size.With you having 1153 posts to my 10 I'll trust your judgement.....what is the aggravation factor on this task on a scale of 1 to 10.<br /><br /> If it is above about a 2.5 I think I'll let my mechanic bang his knuckles up instead of me.

Walker

Captain

Getting it disconnected is usually 200% easier than hooking it back up. The bolt is 3/8".

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Use a 1/4" drive with a long extension and universal joint. Put a piece of masking tape in the socket to hold the bolt when removing and reinstalling. Piece of cake.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OBJ,<br /> That sounds logical to me but do I need to remove the carbs to make it any easier or just take it on out.It does not appear that the removal of the carbs would help that much. Thanks Again

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know about your 70hp, but when I did it on my 140, I removed the lower cowling from the powerhead. It only took 5 minutes to get the cowling off and it created plenty of space to allow my big mitts access to the linkage.<br /><br />Aggrevation factor before cowling removal = 8...after removal = 2.<br /><br />Good luck!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you shift into forwar, the clevis the shift rod fits into will be low and the screw pin visible from the port side. May have to weave through the fuel lines and stuff on that side but it's do-able.<br /><br />Edit: Brew...the pans on this model engine do not separate like yours. Wish they did though.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I thought on a 1988 70 all you did was pop the pin on the shaft on the starboard side and push the shaft towards the port side.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I'm sure of it. And the 1991 90 hp is the same way. Pop the pin and push the shaft to release the shift rod. <br /><br />Real easy.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

AWWWW Frig!!! looking at the wrong engine. Some body kick me....PLEASE...then pay for my next reading lessons....<br /><br />Sorry Bomb....somehow I got to looking at an 86' 90hp.....which is what I got on my boat...DOH!!<br /><br />Thanks for the save Dhadley.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Glad to help. Heck, I wasnt all that sure til I thought about it a while.

DHPMARINE

Captain

OMC 3 cylinder motors in 1987 had the screw under the carbs,from the port side,and some had the clip on the starboard side.I imagine '86 was the same,but don't know about 1988.<br />DHP

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the clip was started in 85' from parts look up.