Evinrude 15 Cowling loose

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Cowling on my 87 15hp Evinrude is loose and rattles at idle.....I have a rag shoved in it right now to stop it but its not working too good.....<br /><br /> Is there a way to tighten it up?....The lock on the back is loose also, stays up but is a little sloppy.....<br /><br /> The rubber is in one piece and not brittle but I would like to order a new one if possible. Its a little dirty.....Thanks for any suggestions in advance......Warren

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 15 Cowling loose

My guess is that the lug on the inside bottom rear that the latch locks into may have gotten bent down. Or at about 1987 they went to plastic levers on the lock & the shifting lever, I have seen both of these strip or break.<br /><br />As for the rubber ring, it is expensive, over $45.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 15 Cowling loose

If the rubber is a white one, neat bleach on a rag, washed off soon after, will probably bring it back looking good. Clean off thoroughly.<br /><br />It is probable that the rattling cover is caused by one or both of the metal clips inside the cowling being misshapen - or the rivets holding them migh be loose.<br /><br />Either way, you can tighten the rivets by supporting their heads on a firm metal base (masking tape on the cover around them will protect the paint) and carefully hammering them inside the cover. You can also reshape them by CAREFULLY hammering the tip of either one, supporting the cover firmly on metal as above. I have done it, but I stress the word CAREFUL. Easy to do - easy to overdo!<br /><br />Failing all that, a rubber strip glued with silicone around the groove on the engine itself, where the cover edge mates, should help.<br /><br />Ciao.