evinrude 4.5hp o/b,

sthyr

Recruit
I have a evinrude 4.5hp o/b, model # e5rlcss, serial # c7093359; would someone tell me the year of it? My other question is; should there be a coolant discharge directly below the cylinder head? There seems to be a exhaust port there, but only blowing hot air.

nwcove

Admiral
there should be a stream of water coming from under the lower cowl, follow the hose on the powerhead. the upper exhaust should only have a bit of mist coming from it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
should there be a coolant discharge directly below the cylinder head? There seems to be a exhaust port there, but only blowing hot air.

you should have water exiting somewhere.

there should be a stream of water coming from under the lower cowl, follow the hose on the powerhead. the upper exhaust should only have a bit of mist coming from it.

ITYWF that this 4.5hp model does not have a telltale. So no hose and no outlet in the lower cowl!

There should normally be a little water, maybe just a few drops or a mist blown from the exhaust pressure relief port on the back of the exhaust housing.
If not suspect pump impeller and/ or obstruction to the water flow.

If all is well you should be able to touch and maintain brief finger contact with any part of the cylinder block and head apart from the exhaust manifold cover plate and the head around the spark plugs.

If you cannot, or if splash of water sizzles and boils or if there is any paint discoloration then it is overheating.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
if it is a 1980 it should have a telltale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ggg-7JdLc

But there is no hose or outlet nipple shown in the parts lists

Cannot quite see where that is coming from. Must be direct from the power head.

The similar 7.5 has a hose running from the water cooled exhaust manifold cover to an outlet fitting in the rear corner of the lower cowl

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
the 4.5. should have the exact same setup as the 7.5

edit! just got home and looked at mine, the telltale is not fed by a hose, its fed directly from the bottom of the powerhead.

Last edited:

sthyr

Recruit
re 4.5 evinrude o/b; Thanks for your collective help fellows. I tried hosing out the "exhaust relief port" with compressed air, on the suspicion, after 5years of storage, spiders might have made a home there. This proved rewarding as the lower unit exhausts well and the upper port emits a good quantity of mist/exhaust and drippers of water.