1981 Evinrude 9.9 started once now it won't

JSIvey

Cadet
The problem I'm having is that I got the motor running once, but there was only a little gas in the tank and when it ran out the motor naturally died. Since then I haven't been able to get it started. I can slowly pull the rope all the way out three to five times and then pull it as if to start it and it will act like it wants to start, but it never fully catches.

The lean/rich knob is not worth a crap anymore so I have had to adjust it with a pair of pliers. I would close it off all the way and then give the pliers one - two full rotations out. Not sure if that is enough.

Also, it sounds as if it would start better with the choke off rather than on. Not sure if that means anything.

I have recently replaced the following parts:

carb (new float, needle, everything)

fuel lines - from fuel plug to fuel filter AND fuel filter to carb

fuel filter.

Everything else that I know of is original parts.

So that is what I am dealing with. Any ideas what the problem is? If I need to I can post a youtube video for people to see rather than me explaining. I just have no clue what could be causing issues now.

JSIvey

Cadet
Not yet. I am learning this as I go (can you tell? Heh). What should I be looking for when I test compression? Will be doing that tomorrow after work.

JSIvey

Cadet
Would the idle adjustment on the side affect its ability to start at all? I read on another post that someone had a similar motor that would start but not idle in one setting but would idle fine in another. Wondering if anything else could be checked in the mean time.

AlTn

Commander
the spark produced by your ignition system should jump an open air gap of 7/16"....much easier to check with both spark plugs removed as you can spin the motor over w/o having to deal with overcoming the compression...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Idle adjustment on the side has very little / nothing to do with the starting.------It is used to set your favourite trolling speed.----Not a mixture adjustment at all.