1953 evinride Fleetwin/Lightwin flywheel can plate troubles

Nappymop

Cadet
Could anyone who is familiar with either of these motors please help me out?

I have replaced the whole ignition system and every time I reinstall everything the cam plate and flywheel want to turn as one rather than individually.

The throttle controller is on the motor so as I try to pull the cord the throttle handle always wants to move as the chord is pulled.

I have no idea why, everything is greased. I can't move the ignition coils any further back.

Any tips? I am at my witts end.

Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The coils are most likely out too far and hitting the flywheel. The edges of the laminates MUST be flush with the machined edge of the base plate. Slightly loosen the screws holding the coil down and push it inwards a bit, then snug the screws. Ideally, a coil ring is used to set them, but lacking that, your fingernail can be used to judge whether they're flush or not.

lindy46

Captain
The coils are most likely out too far and hitting the flywheel. The edges of the laminates MUST be flush with the machined edge of the base plate. Slightly loosen the screws holding the coil down and push it inwards a bit, then snug the screws. Ideally, a coil ring is used to set them, but lacking that, your fingernail can be used to judge whether they're flush or not.

Agree

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely. But you say you can't move them back any further?? If it isn't that, then I would suspect the plate or flywheel is bent. Or defective coils. How did you pull the flywheel? If you or somebody before you used a puller that grabs the outside rim of the flywheel, that is a very good way to bend it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OR....is there excessive wobble to the mag plate? By any chance is the retainer plate upside down or the friction wave washer missing?

Nappymop

Cadet
I took the fly wheel off with a rubber mallet tapping the nut, came of real easy. Nothing looks bent or wobbly. I have no idea, I cannot physically move the coils any further back. Is there some secret to tightening down the screws, every time I tighten down one side it moves the other back out or down. I am so frustrated, I can feel something hitting but can't figure it out.

Last edited: