1964 Evinrude 60hp Sportsfour

baldwisa

Seaman
My first time here. Just purchased a 64' Evinrude Sportsfour 60hp. Runs and starts easy. Has a hair line crack in the lower unit. Was hoping some JB Weld would hold up. Was also wondering about the water discharge. Looks like it was just "spuddering" out the engine. Is that normal for these old engines? Don't have much to spend on repairs, so any work would probably be done in the garage. If a new water pump is needed, could someone help with a services manual copy of the procedure?

lindy46

Captain
Welcome to the forum! Nice old beast - I had one of them back in the day.
If you're unsure of the history of the motor, I'd replace the water pump impeller as a routine maintenance procedure. Water should flow pretty good, but there won't be a stream like on newer motors - more of a spray/shower. Post a pic of the crack in the lower unit.

Last edited:

baldwisa

Seaman
You can see the white gear oil dripping out the bottom. The crack is barely visible. I need to get that black paint off to see it better. When I pull the lower unit off to do the water pump, should I replace anything else since it's off already? Any gaskets to seals that should be done? IMG_0333.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First thing baldwisa :welcome: to iboats...

As per the gaskets and seal question. I would buy the needed seals gaskets and "O" rings for the water pump impellor change, but unless you plan on disassembling the lower foot section, there probably isn't any others. I would however, change the lower foot oil. And if that oil looks good and not contaminated with water or such, then you are good to go. However, If there is water in the foot or milky looking oil coming out, I would then rework the lower foot too because that indicates it is leaking... Not good!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Is this the crack? My friend, you have a broken rear stud. I have seen a number of them back in the day. It is important to make sure the upper section of the gearcase isn't bent and that you use a accurate torque wrench to tighten the nut on the replacement stud, or you may break another one. A qualified machine shop can check the case for being bent (parallelism).

Attachments

• photo215084.jpg
    photo215084.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227291.jpg
    photo227291.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0

baldwisa

Seaman
No. It's closer to the bottom. I'm guessing a winter in Ohio claimed the crack with water in the gearcase. The crack isn't that long. IMG_0333.JPG

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That's odd, I'd expect it to be solid metal in that area. Hard to say without looking at the inside. You might want to try your JB Weld cure. Better yet, Marine Tex. So, you are confident it isn't cracked open where I marked?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, clean it up real good and Marine Tex it.

baldwisa

Seaman
Thanks for the tips. I am going to pull the lower unit this weekend and look at the water pump. There is an access plate on the side of the upper gearcase. Ive read that's the access to the bolt that holds the shift rod. Is there any other bolts besides the ones holding the lower unit on?

lindy46

Captain
Completely remove the lower bolt from the shift rod coupler. Then remove the bolts holding the L/U and she will drop loose. Use 80-90wt marine gear lube in the gearcase.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
For the Zerk fittings use a quality waterproof marine grease. All outboard mfrs sell their own brand name, and all are good for any brand.

baldwisa

Seaman
You guys are the best!!!! Here is a better shot of the leak. Sure looks like it was repaired prior. I'll clean it up and do the Marine Tex. I've read these lower gear cases are a real pain to get off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-04-19-48-50_resized.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-04-19-48-50_resized.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 0

baldwisa

Seaman
How do you remove the lower bolt from the shift rod without it dropping into the case?

baldwisa

Seaman
This is what I found when I opened the access plate on the gearcase. Any idea what this is from? Must have broke off something and fell there.

Attachments

• 20150804_210733.jpg
    20150804_210733.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150804_210717.jpg
    20150804_210717.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
I use a socket filled with grease. The grease will hold the bolt in the socket.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So it drops, so what? You are going to remove the lower unit anyway, right? Just reach in and grab it or dump it out. More fun is when you drop it while putting it back together.

baldwisa

Seaman
Any idea what that broken piece was I found when I opened the outer access plate?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'd venture to say it is a piece of a broken distributor cap. At least that is where those vent screens are used. Maybe an old one broken in years past (???)