Paint Issue

'57 'rude

Cadet
Hey guys -

We have a '57 Evinrude Sportwin with a paint issue. Every year when we take it to our cottage, we transport it on the floor of our big boat. We cover it with a couple of plastic trash bags so that no oil gets on the carpet of the big boat. This has worked well for years - except this last time. After we arrived, unfortunately we didn't take the bag off the hood for a couple of days. It sat in the sun and when it was "peeled off", it either took some paint with it, or just discolored it. Lesson learned, but does anyone have any advice to make it look better without repainting? I tried a mild polishing compound by hand, but no effect.

Thanks,
Mark

IMG_2477.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
will be some interested listers to your post. quick opinion (mine) -- looks like it MIGHT have been repainted at some point, at least the polychromatic blue. almost looks like a clear coat peeling away (good paint job if there was one, but edging looks like it might not be factory original -- guessing here). Might try some wet/dry sandpaper, wet sanding in a non conspicuous spot (400 or 600 grit). See if a top coat sands away after a bit. Keep it wet. Nice motor. Protect the emblems.

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could try wet sanding to get it out, but I fear that staining will not come out, the fuel/oil plus being wrapped in the hot sun equals permanent staining deeply embedded in the paint.
On the plus side,you still have a great looking motor regardless, good excuse for a repaint down the road if you wanted to, it would look great, love that rude color scheme.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Honestly, I see a very nice engine worthy of a quality paint job myself. I would certainly take the time and effort to prep it for a very nice paint finish. It is in nice condition otherwise. But that is just me and I like refurbishing things. And once all the new finish is finished, protect it when traveling and display it proudly when using it as well... :thumb:

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
It COULD be that its an original paint job that was "exposed" to a solvent that affected that particular area - but I am more inclined to agree with the repainted diagnosis.
It is a beautiful engine and frankly I would probably just use a quality wax after I buffed it with a cleaner type product.
Somehow, the old aluminum cowled motors look "correct" with a few wear marks. Kinda like I feel (and look) everyday.

Best of Luck.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Looks like moisture ingress.
Try wiping down with methyl hydrate and then gentle drying with a hair dryer.

'57 'rude

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies! I really don't think it was ever repainted. It seems like a very nice original all the way around. The spots aren't really "staining" in that there wasn't any fuel or oils on the surface when it happened. The plastic was kind of stuck to the cowl and when it was peeled off, it almost seems like it lifted off some of the color. The surface is completely smooth, so it isn't like it actually lifted a layer paint. I'm probably way off base, but it seems like the paint has oxidized over the years and our mishap actually lifted off what I'll call patina. Does that make any sense :eek:hwell:?

We've got other motors we're working on that we'll repaint, but I really wanted to keep this one looking original. I'm leaning towards trying a cleaning product like pro-crastinator suggested and see if somehow the spots can be buffed and blended in so it doesn't look as noticeable. It's a shame because it really is a nice motor:

BrettsEvinrude5.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That green color is the color I usually expect when oxidized (various shades). Motor is very nice. No evidence of overheating. Rubber parts complete and in place. Think you are right on track with the conservative approach. I like to repaint too, and think I have some spot on matches -- and fairly good at it (imho, of course) -- but think a nice original is still preferred. Would still consider some wet sanding, and maybe use of some cleaners and (hate to use the word) solvents. Might try mineral spirits, alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner -- order of least to more aggressive. Finger and shop rag....

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yeah that has not been repainted, is a nice original! My vote is to NOT paint that one. they are only original once right. Paint one that is cosmetically in bad shape, but not the nice originals.

I would simply try cleaning and then buffing first. If tht will not cure it, try a mild wet sand, with 1500 or 2000, then polish.