Water in cylinders - engine seized?

JoeW80

Cadet
This is a follow-up to this post: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-block-cracked.

Since this post, I've determined that the water leak was most likely coming in through the head gasket and I was planning on replacing the gaskets and putting everything back together. Prior to doing that, I wanted to make sure that the engine wasn't seized since it hasn't been run in about 2 months and had salt water in it. The mechanic that took it apart told me 2 weeks ago that he was able to rotate the pistons and it was evident that they've been moved since the previous time I saw the boat. He oiled up the cylinders and put rags in them. But I tried moving the flywheel, first by hand and then with a breaker bar, to no success.

I sprayed WD-40 rust release penetrant spray into all of the cylinders several times and let it soak for about an hour or so. I tried again to turn the flywheel with no success. One of the pistons appeared to be off-center and making contact with the cylinder wall. It was very tight, but I hit it at an angle with a 2x4 and a hammer, and it actually seemed to re-center. It tapped all of the pistons the same way to try to free them up, but the flywheel still would not budge... not even the slightest bit. If it's seized, it wouldn't be from heat since the engine wasn't overheating and was running properly (albeit rough due to the water intrusion) before it was disassembled.

Does this make sense that a running engine would seize like this after 2 months? What would actually be the mechanism that would cause it to lock up and is it possible to free it?

I've read other posts that mention soaking in PB Blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil every day and attempting to turn the flywheel by hand. The boat is about an hour away from me and it's just not possible for me to get down there every day. Any advice?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Does this make sense that a running engine would seize like this after 2 months? What would actually be the mechanism that would cause it to lock up and is it possible to free it?

If salt water has been in the crankcase and engine innards for two months, sure. You'll need to do a total tear down to gauge the condition of crankshaft journals etc.

JoeW80

Cadet
Thanks, Tim. I'm going to soak the cylinders in some Marvel Mystery Oil and see if that'll free it up first. Then I'll see if I can open up the intake manifold. Might be too big of a job but I'll see.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Problem is, even if you free it up, it may seem "free", but if there is corrosion on the journals or water got to the small-end bearings, it will get expensive... fast.