Can't reach full rpm @ WOT after carb rebuild

jiff7210

Cadet
Hey guys, thanks for taking a look. Here's what I've got:

1997 Evinrude 150

I had problems last month with the motor running at idle and idling in gear. It was also hard to start up. I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs using an ultrasonic cleaner and new carb kits. Took it out yesterday and it runs much smoother, however...

Still wants to die out in gear at idle, if I give it a little throttle it will stay alive just fine.

When I try to get up and go for a hole shot it wants to bog out unless I slowly build up rpm then it will take off.

Lastly, at WOT I can no longer reach my full rpms like I could prior to the rebuild, I get up to about 4800 and can't get any higher. If I continue to trim up the rpms increase, but it's at a point where I don't want to trim any higher and lose water pressure. I could easily reach 5200 rpm at the same trim setting prior to doing the carburetors. Could I have set the floats incorrectly or is it something else?

Here's what I've checked:

All the throttle plates are opening fully and seem to be perfectly in sync with each other. I did a drop test and all the cylinders are running as motor bogs when I remove each plug boot.

Any help appreciated. Thanks guys!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Id blast some carb cleaner down the high speed jet passages again and check the primer bulb holds firm with the engine off

fireman57

Captain
You also might want to take the drain plugs out of each carb to make sure that fuel is getting in them. No fuel in a carb means no lubrication to the cylinder. Run a small wire through your high speed jets to make sure anything in there gets dislodged.

jiff7210

Cadet
Okay I can do that. Thanks for the advice guys. I will update as soon as I can get it on the water. The Jets could of gotten clogged the first time out after a full rebuild/cleaning?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would check the timing at idle and max advance. Maybe they were inadvertently changed when you cleaned the carbs? If that is a 60* looper, the idle timing should be 6*ATDC, and max advance should be 20* BTDC.