MODIFIED Replacement starter Prestolite MGD 4110?

Toggleback

Recruit
I have a 1977 SeaStar with a 70hp Johnson. I took the starter apart and discovered that the wire had come out of one of the brushes. The brush was ground at an angle and looked more like a wedge. It was probably getting partly hung up in the brush holder for several years. I soldered it and put it back together. I was able to start the boat a few times but then it quit again. I took it back apart to discover that my solder had failed. I know that this old 2 brush starter is obsolete. I also know that a very similar starter is available for about 70 bucks but it has a 9 tooth pinion and my old starter is a 10 tooth. What I would like to know is if I could buy the 70 dollar starter and change out the pinion gear? Has anyone ever done this? Is the shaft the same?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
That starter is not obsolete it can be had new from shopevinrude.com. Or some after market starters are being made and sold on other sites. OMC part number 0586281. The brushes are also being sold. OMC part number 0379992. There are several used ones for sale on EBAY.