1969 Johnson 85hp firing order and key switch wiring

jamiegiles

Cadet
Hello I have a 1969 Johnson 85hp V4 someone tryed to fix it and they switch the spark plug wires around and the numbers are warn of so I'm not sure witch one goes where tryed messing with it but only back fires also looking for the key switch and choke wiring with color code c

jamiegiles

Cadet
I have searched every where on the cap for numbers can't find any also set the points to .10

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Firing order is 1-2-3-4. #1 is highest up, #2 next one down (on other side), etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here ya go....

Attachments

• photo227074.jpg
    photo227074.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 3

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't remember which side is #1, but if you stand behind the motor, you will see that the top plug is higher on one side than the top plug on the other side. The highest one toward the sky is #1,

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Again, I am going by memory, but I believe the plug wires are spaced evenly around the cap, with the coil wire between two of them.

jamiegiles

Cadet
Ok thanks I'll try the wires Just dont seem to reach but I'll take off all the wires and messure thanks for your help been trying to figure it out all weekend has great blue spark on plugs but just back fires and sputters

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove flywheel and check rotor is pointing at the correct cylinder.----Put each piston to TDC and see where the rotor is pointing !!!

jamiegiles

Cadet
The rotor seems to just spin freely on the crank shaft is there a keyway for it or do you line it up with something and then tighten the fry wheel

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The rotor has to have a key as part of it.--Obviously broken off and missing in action.---See the notch on the crankshaft.-------See the numbers on the distributor cap ?

Last edited:

jamiegiles

Cadet
Yup I see the notch but no key on the rotor so I need a new rotor and don't see any numbers unless they are under the charging coil