70's 9.5 hp Johnson, reconnecting water pipe?

oakback

Recruit
I removed my lower unit to check the impeller. The water pipe came off with it. I've read that it's difficult to get it back in place, but I'm not sure where that place is. I read that I might have to take things apart and install it from above, but I can't find any sort of instructions or pics or videos online.

I'm prepared to do either method, but I'm driving blind, I'm not sure how things come apart and I'm afraid of breaking things. I removed the plate that the shift rod and water pipe pass through, and already broke 1 of the 3 screws holding that on.

I'm mechanically inclined enough to do motor installs and suspension swaps on cars, but haven't messed with an old outboard like this before.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That tube has a retainer at the top and is supposed to stay in the exhaust housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Some guys have reported getting lucky and getting the tube back in. I don't see how, except luck. The official way is you have to pull the powerhead. To do that, you have to shuck the whole motor out of the outer shells. An intimidating job the first time you do it. After you have done as many as I have, it gets easier. But still a biggie, especially if the screws are going to break.

oakback

Recruit
That tube has a retainer at the top and is supposed to stay in the exhaust housing.
Yes I know, and I fished the retainer clip out as well. I'm asking about how to get it back into the exhaust housing.

Some guys have reported getting lucky and getting the tube back in. I don't see how, except luck. The official way is you have to pull the powerhead. To do that, you have to shuck the whole motor out of the outer shells. An intimidating job the first time you do it. After you have done as many as I have, it gets easier. But still a biggie, especially if the screws are going to break.
So to get the motor out of the shell, do I just start removing things? I don't want to take apart something unnecessarily. Is there a manual somewhere, or just wing it?