Removal of Starter Bracket

Todd Menswar

Cadet
I have a 1987 25 hp Johnson outboard. I am trying to remove the carburetor to rebuild, however, I cannot figure out how to remove the starter bracket. I am almost positive that I have to remove the starter in order to get to the carburetor nuts. I have looked on youtube for a tutorial. Nothing. Help!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Three bolts hold it in place. One in front, at about 1 o'clock to the carb. Second is on side, near mount for the throttle arm. Third is down low on the bracket, oriented fore/aft. Access by a long reach extension and socket. Flexi socket works even better. You'll have to undo the throttle arm,too.

Todd Menswar

Cadet
Thank you very much. It worked. Cleaned and rebuilt carb. Motor is back together. Having another problem now. When I start the motor, in neutral obviously, it automatically runs full throttle. I know that it has to do with the idle knob and the throttle. There is also a white plastic screw that stops the throttle. I have been fiddling with the idle knob, throttle, and the white screw and I cannot find the sweet spot to make it idle at a low speed. Would you know what to do?