Is this normal?

halibutts

Cadet
Since starting to try figure out why I lose power under load, I have been concerned with this oily colored, fuel smelling liquid in and around my carbs.

2000 70hp johnson disdabled vro

Attachments

• photo227012.jpg
    photo227012.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks to me like the usual oil residue, nothing alarming to me...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression test.---Then check for strong spark on each lead.----That oily residue has nothing to do with the problems you have.

halibutts

Cadet
140 across the board and blue arc on all three plugs.Today I backed her into the water, careful not to launch. Fired her up and slipped her into gear just to have her die in my arms.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
You need to make sure it jumps a 7/16 gap with the spark. Anything less is weak. When running the motor do a cylinder drop test . Pull one plug wire at a time to see if there is a difference if no change once pulled that cylinder is not firing.

halibutts

Cadet
I bought one of them spark gap testers, had blue and yellow spark dancing all around the deal. Drop test ....rpms dropped a little on each

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sounds like a carb issue, but not familiar with VRO conversion procedures and potential issues.

If the smell you reference is really nasty, suspect old gas and varnish build up.

halibutts

Cadet
Fresh fuel, and she warms up just fine. Will idle forever.

I just did a drop down test again. They all cause a drop but what is shocking is the jolt I get off the #2 wire. I am standing on a board on a tire and using rubber handled pliers and she just knocks the pliers out of my hand. This doesn't happen with the other two.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think you covered the electrical stuff you did in a number of earlier posts on another thread. Might summarize that. Also referred to replacing "all the usual stuff" in carb work in another thread. not clear what that means, unless explained somewhere else. Sounds offhand like your plug wire or boot might be shorting, and that you also might have a gummed up jet or jets.

halibutts

Cadet
Thanks, as of now I am pursuing that shorting boot. Would lead to it dying when put in gear?
?