Mystery wires

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone identify these wires for me? All my research has turned up is that they are labelled as ignition wires. Seeing as my ignition is hooked up and working I am skeptical of that description. 1976 55hp and the wires are purple and purple/yellow. PO had them cut and stowed in the harness

Attachments

• photo226984.jpg
    photo226984.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As noted elsewhere I do not believe your powerhead is a 76 model.----Those wires have to do with the thermo-electric choke used on earlier models !!!

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks racerone. Yes I firmly beleive that the power head is not a 76 as well. Is there a stamp/tag on the engine where I could verify. So I'm obviously fine to run with them disconnected right? I'm fitted with an electric choke off the ignition

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The thermo-electric choke was an early attempt to make motors start and warm-up. The general public in many cases simply does not know how to start a motor !----That is all done by computer now and all you have to do is " turn the key " and away you go.---Just leave those wires hanging there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Anyhoo, there was a factory service bulletin telling dealers to disable that thermal choke, and re-wire it for strictly electric choke that only operates when the driver tells it to.

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Is there a stamp somewhere orher than the transom miunt that would help me decipher what year and model I'm actually dealing with here?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
There should be a quarter sized silver disc on the block, sometimes you will have some information there. Maybe a model number or serial number.

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
I believe I found what you are referring to but I'm having difficulty deciphering it. I found the number C0014382 on a round stamp on the block. I've cross referenced it to both Evinrude and Johnson but not having much luck. This would be a serial number right?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is a serial number. A Canadian one. They come up with some funky numbers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I believe 1975 was the last year they had the thermal switch for the choke. So it is 1975 or older.