Starter solenoid coil current? - 25hp johnson - J25TEETS

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have any idea how much current the coil on a starter solenoid for a J25TEETS motor would take? Or approximately? A couple amps? 5 amps? 20 amps?

Fed

Commander
Way less than a couple of Amps after after the armature has pulled in, more at initial activation.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am working on remote controlling the motor and am looking at a couple relays to do the switching at the motor - one for the solenoid/start and one for the kill switch. Looks like I can use the relays I have then - good to about 15 amps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
KC8QVO, actually the starter solenoid IS a relay itself for the starter. That is the function it performs. If you can read the resistance of the coil, you can use Ohm's Law to figure out the current draw of the coil. I=E/R So if your solenoid reads 40 ohms and you use 12 volts, then the coil is drawing 300 milliamps, or .3 amps. So most any wire size will handle that amount. I'd use 16 gauge myself. Hope that helps you out some...

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Measuring anything isn't going to work - the boat and motor are a day's drive away. I was up there over the 4th of july weekend last. I am trying to wrap up as many loose ends now before I leave again. Once I'm there I can't easily get stuff, and time will be very short, so I need everything situated to work with when I get there.

I know what a solenoid is. I just want to switch it on remotely with a relay and micro switches on the helm to trip the relays.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. What is the reasoning for the non-orthodox setup?